Fireplace backdraft/ smell issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevmay6

Dec 26, 2019
Suffolk county
Good afternoon, first time posting to the forum. Please excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong category. I recently purchased a house in Suffolk county Ny. The home has an average looking masonry fireplace that has a decent down draft of cold air into the house. I had a company come do a chimney cleaning and installed a brand new top sealing flue that has a stainless steel pull cord. The draft has defiantly improved. I burned my first fire last weekend everything worked out great. Then days after I noticed there was a lingering smell of burnt wood in the house. I am assuming the backdraft is forcing the smell into my home. I’ve done a small amount of research on the topic and learned I can try a gasket sealed fireplace door(s) or convert to a fireplace insert (expensive). If anyone has any input or tips it would be greatly appreciated. Would putting a gasket sealed door in help ? Or would it be a waste of money. Currently I have regular glass doors. The chimney cleaner explained my home is in a poor position and is prone to this type of problem
Thanks, Kevin

Some fireplace and some house locations are more prone to this problem than others. Is there only one fireplace in the house? What floor is it on?

There is a product called the Chimney Balloon which inflates to fill the damper area that some folks use to address this issue.

Reactions: Kevmay6
Some fireplace and some house locations are more prone to this problem than others. Is there only one fireplace in the house? What floor is it on?
The fireplace is located on the ground floor. The house is a two story. The backyard is essentially a large hill / retaining wall. So I understand why. Just trying to go fishing for some solutions. The fireplace is also located on the outer wall of the house. There is also an ash pit that is located in the basement with a clean out door

The fireplace is located on the ground floor. The house is a two story. The backyard is essentially a large hill / retaining wall. So I understand why. Just trying to go fishing for some solutions. The fireplace is also located on the outer wall of the house. There is also an ash pit that is located in the basement with a clean out door
And yes it is the only one

Yes, sometimes the local terrain works against good draft. Here is a cheap way someone tried out a chimney balloon alternative. Just be sure to leave a note in the fireplace to remove it before burning!

Reactions: Kevmay6
Chances are because you have an outside chimney you have warm moist room air going up into the flue from the house cooling and dropping down. A balloon will help. The top sealer can actually make it worse sometimes

Thank you everyone I will try the balloon idea. Just curious if anyone has an opinion on the “air tight” gasket sealed doors. I am interested in changing out the doors in the near future and would like to know if they are worth the money and would possibly help my issue

Thank you everyone I will try the balloon idea. Just curious if anyone has an opinion on the “air tight” gasket sealed doors. I am interested in changing out the doors in the near future and would like to know if they are worth the money and would possibly help my issue
They are not worth the money

Do not overlook the over-all pressure situation in the house. I suspect that you have a negative pressure in the house and your odor issue is largely being caused by that. How do you heat the house and do you have adequate combustion and make-p air for the boiler/furnace/water heater? How many fans are operating pumping air out of the place. The point is, don't focus only on the chimney...yet! Take a broader look at the whole house. If you achieve a neutral pressure in the building you may find that the chimney damper is sufficient to eliminate the odor problem.