Fireplace damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rgram

Dec 8, 2014
N.J.
Why does the damper on my fireplace have several notches on the handle?
Shouldnt it be either all the way open or all the way closed? Just curious.
Thanks Bob G

Fireplace damper

Why does the damper on my fireplace have several notches on the handle?
Shouldnt it be either all the way open or all the way closed? Just curious.
Thanks Bob G

View attachment 268899
In most cases yes all the way open or all the way closed. But on a well built fireplace with good draft you should be able to close it partially reducing the amount of air being sucked from the house.

Also, depending on the outside temp you may get a stronger draft and not need it open all the way. For example I open mine all the way if it's above 30F but otherwise I use the 1st or 2nd notch, whatever is just enough to keep it from smoking. The fireplace heats better if you're not sucking away all the warm air from the room.

Thanks thats what I was thinking. I was curious if people were able to shut their dampers partially down. My fireplace works well enough but I need to keep the damper all the way open. One notch down and I’m getting a little smoke.

Reactions: gthomas785