1940s Damper Handle Missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BMurphy1993

Feb 19, 2024
Shoreline, WA, USA
I recently removed the wood burning insert in our 1946 fireplace and am working on getting it cleaned up before we install a gas log set. I know the damper will need to remain partially open after installation, but I'd like to find a handle that fits the existing damper so I can adjust it slightly without crawling in the fireplace after we get the log set installed. Right now I can only push it open and jerry-rig it closed by getting my hand way up in there.

Do you know what kind of damper handle would have gone into this space? Any recommendations on resources for where to buy one would be appreciated as well.

(FYI A top-mounted damper replacement isn't an option because the chimney doesn't have a flue liner.)

IMG_7647.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7648.jpg

I recently removed the wood burning insert in our 1946 fireplace and am working on getting it cleaned up before we install a gas log set. I know the damper will need to remain partially open after installation, but I'd like to find a handle that fits the existing damper so I can adjust it slightly without crawling in the fireplace after we get the log set installed. Right now I can only push it open and jerry-rig it closed by getting my hand way up in there.

Do you know what kind of damper handle would have gone into this space? Any recommendations on resources for where to buy one would be appreciated as well.

(FYI A top-mounted damper replacement isn't an option because the chimney doesn't have a flue liner.)

View attachment 324900

View attachment 324901

View attachment 324902
If it doesn't have a flue liner a vented log set isn't an option either.