Fireplace doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The 1750 is a good though. I always forget about the non-flush Lopi inserts. The small hybrid fire is quite small at just 1.2 cubic feet...although two units going would in theory be the equivalent of 2.4 cu feet which may be enough to heat the space. That is actually an important question - where do you live, how much space are you trying to heat, and are there a lot of windows, do you have decent insulation, etc?

I can heat about 1650 square feet with my 2.0 cu foot Montepelier, but we don't have that many windows, I use plastic over them during the winter to help (we have one large single pane window and a patio door that is old and leaks a lot). In my case the difficulty is getting the heat distributed as we have a long ranch and the fireplace is on one end of it.

If you do plan to go with back to back units I presume you'd want to be burning both of them most of the time - to do this they will need to be sized right. If you get two 2.0+ cubic feet units you may overheat the space if it isn't very open. Conversely, a large open space in a cold climate would likely be underserved by the 2.4 combined cubic feet of the back to back small hybrid fire inserts.

Actually, thinking about it more there's one more option you could consider. Two back to back Vermont Castings Montpeliers. I suggest this for two reasons - the first being it has one of the largest glass viewing areas. I own one of these and the view is incredible.

Secondly, they may be able to fit. You can get the unit with a "3 inch extension" which brings it out 3 inches onto the heart (it's normally flush mount)...what this would do is reduce the depth of each unit to 14 inches rather than 17. So 28 inches combined. The tight spot would be the height - the unit measures at 21.5 inches at its highest spot, but it is only 26 inches wide. So if you measure the height at 13" from center, if you have 21.5 there you could squeeze it in (or if you're ok with a bit of modification, a bit of brick could be chipped out of the arch to accomodate the unit).

This is a no-frills 2.0 cubic foot insert that has a great fireview. If aesthetics are high on your list it excels there too - it not only looks really nice on the outside, but the inside uses customer refractory panels that look much nicer than the usual firebrick of every other insert (of course the potential downside here is the cost to replace...much more $$$ than firebrick).

Given that fire view and aesthetics rank high on your priority list I think the Montpelier is definitely worth looking at. Just know that if you had two of them cranking they could really overheat a small or medium sized room unless it is very open to the rest of the space.

I should add you could have a metal fabricating shop cut out a custom surround for the Montpelier to match the arch if you wanted. The shape of the door and glass are already arched, so that helps too.

We are in Maryland, and we do have a lot of windows. The great room is big. I don’t have the exact dimensions handy, but it is open, with large windows and skylights. The kitchen area is smaller, with 8 ft ceilings and a sliding glass door. I don’t expect to heat the whole house. Just want these areas “cozy”.

Do you guys think two Jøtul c350’s would fit back to back? The depth is listed at 16”, which leaves a whopping 0.75” to spare. The reason I bring this up is because I know it is a brand that our dealer carries. It says there is a “trimmable surround” so I assume that could be cut to match the arch? I’m confused as to why he didn’t suggest this. Like, is there something I’m not accounting for?

I just can't imagine closing in that beautiful fireplace. A large stove in the basement for heating and keeping the see through fireplace for ambiance should also be cheaper than two inserts and two flue systems.

You could even put a wood furnace or a Sedore in the basement that can easily heat the whole house and your wife will still be happy too.

Does the double sided fireplace even work? Very few do. The majority spill smoke like crazy

Does the double sided fireplace even work? Very few do. The majority spill smoke like crazy

... and those that do usually have a chimney large enough for Santa to actually climb down. You need a big chimney section to draft that combined opening.

Heating from the basement can work, with the following caveats:

1. If your basement is not fully finished, if there is any exposed concrete, it will soak up the majority of the heat your stove produces, and conduct a lot of it to the outside earth.

2. A convective stove can help to minimize this effect, but it will always be there. Even “convective” stoves do a lot of their heating by radiation.

3. Your basement will be toasty warm, but the rooms above will likely never be quite as warm as you’d like. This can work very well if the stove is just supplying supplemental heat, with a furnace running to keep the first floor at the desired temperature, but not as well if trying to use it for primary heat.

4. Having to go down the basement a dozen times per day, between loading and post-loading adjustments, can get old very fast.

5. Because of issue 1, you will likely use a lot more wood than you would if you just put it upstairs.

6. Hope you don’t need an OAK, running one to a basement is often a problem. In other words, don’t try this in a tight house.

The fireplace does currently work, yes. We do love it. We just want it to actually make things warm, and I hate leaving the flue open all night, long enough for the thing to stop burning. Do you guys have thoughts on whether two of those 16” deep inserts is a feasible idea? (Would leave 0.75” between them.) ...?

The more I think about it, the less I’m inclined to put the money into the basement. (It is fully finished, FYI. Just no vents for the HVAC.) Just seems to me that if I’m going to spend thousands, I should spend it where we spend more of our time.

I agree with your thoughts, you are going to want to spend your time where the stove is.

On whether this model will work, perhaps bholler or webby3650 can help, but I'd also be calling the closest Jotul dealer to get their eyes on it.

I agree with your thoughts, you are going to want to spend your time where the stove is.

On whether this model will work, perhaps bholler or webby3650 can help, but I'd also be calling the closest Jotul dealer to get their eyes on it.
I’m not a huge fan of Jotul inserts. It may be very difficult to fit in there with the cast iron surrounds they use anyway.

I personally would let my wife pick. When searching for our stove I made a list of stoves that met our requirements (that's a whole process in itself...) and then she picked the one she liked best.

Reactions: Ashful
I personally would let my wife pick. When searching for our stove I made a list of stoves that met our requirements (that's a whole process in itself...) and then she picked the one she liked best.
That's the best approach... but in this case, the OP's list may be one stove long.

Reactions: SpaceBus