"Fireplace Explosion" -- Scary story from my local newspaper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ryan723

Oct 14, 2018
Layton, NJ
Just saw a pretty scary story from my local newspaper:

https://www.njherald.com/20181113/fireplace-explosion--damaged-blairstown-home-injured-two#//

Basically, a previous owner had a system in the fireplace to heat domestic hot water and/or pool water. It was decommissioned some time prior to the new owners moving in. But it must have been sealed off with water in the pipes, essentially creating several steam pipe bombs when the new owners had their first fire.

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 5.42.33 PM.png

[Mods, if this doesn't belong here, please move or delete.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a pretty scary story from my local newspaper:

https://www.njherald.com/20181113/fireplace-explosion--damaged-blairstown-home-injured-two#//

Basically, a previous owner had a system in the fireplace to heat domestic hot water and/or pool water. It was decommissioned some time prior to the new owners moving in. But it must have been sealed off with water in the pipes, essentially creating several steam pipe bombs when the new owners had their first fire.

View attachment 233148

[Mods, if this doesn't belong here, please move or delete.]
And that is why i am always very cautious when people start messing around with homemade hydronic heating. It can go very wrong.

Reactions: webby3650
That'll make you need fresh underwear :eek: Amazing that nobody was seriously hurt.

Last edited:
Looks like a good segment for the old Mythbusters show. Hard to explain to folks how much energy can be released when steam doesnt have anywhere to go. Doesnt take a lot of liquid to make a lot of steam. I square inch of water equals 1700 square inches of steam, add enough heat and and something will let loose.

Reading the heading I just assumed it was another Hearthstone Stove blowing it’s top!

I suspect that wine bottle had something to do with it. ;-)