Fireplace Extraordinaire 44 Elite Converting to Gas??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dds4osu

Nov 21, 2007
Southern OK
We have a Fireplace Extraordinaire 44 Elite wood burning (10 years old). We want to convert to a gas log, preferable vented for the looks. Our local plumber says it will not be any problem but the 'company' says you can't do it..at least safely. I understand they need to cover themselves for legal reasons. But again our plumber says as long as air can go in and heat can escape up the chimney, it will work fine and be safe. It will only be used occasionally and not to produce heat. Please someone give me an objective educated opinion.
Thanks
Ron

Travis does not promote this use of their fireplace and you have that knowledge so does the plumber. If you go ahead and end up running into some sort of issue then it seems there is huge liability there.

I understand the company does not condone this, but I would like an explanation as to why this would be a hazard and the safety issue behind the problem. Thank you

Why not call Travis and ask them the best way to install a tankless hot water heater? I'm being a smart a$$, but I'm sure you get the point.

Remember, you're playing with gas and fire in your home. I would want to be darn sure that what I was up to was going to be safe.

Speaking from an inspector's point of view all the answers you received are correct. Travis industries can not tell you it is ok to use your wood fireplace for a use it was not tested for
If you were lucky enough to have them confirm it is ok Then as an inspector before I issue a permit I would request that info be faxxed to my office on their official letter head and signed and stamped by their engineer. IT would be entered into public record TRavis is the party responsible and engineered their used fireplace for a gas log set.
Reality, that's not going to happen

The second part of listing labeling testing and certification now falls on the gas log manufacturer. Many gas log sets are only manufactured for masonry fireplace installations Thhey cannot be installed in a prefab wood fireplace. However if you find a gas log set that is listed for your particular pre fab it may be installed. The responsibility of the listing falls on the log manufacturer.
They may say their log set can only be used with pre fabs that carry a certain UL listing. If yours is UL listed to that standard then it is an approved installation

There is a bit more involved here concerning inspection approvals fires the gas line has to be inspected and red tagged prior to hooking up any gas appliance

Second the dampers has to be either removed of fixed to remain open. I require removal. Third now that there is no damper, there must be a means to close of that opening, when the log set is not in use. Usually that is accomplished with glass doors.

After all this the integrity of the fireplace must me ample for the log set to be installed No rested out holes. A Level 2 inspection report is required with the change in use of fuel. The chimney must be cleaned

Pyro Extraordinaire,

Thanks, your answer is helpful. I live in the country where there are no inspections I'm aware of. With that said I do have a licenced plumber and I do want safety above all else.

Honestly a couple months ago I would have suggested you would be fine with it, the early models of FPX even had a gas line knock out for such use. Now though it's such a liability issue I would be surprised to find a professional willing to put his name on it.

The model is 10 years old. It does seem odd that....
On page 2 of the 'Owner's Manual' it says, "If using natural gas log lighter, follow the instructions included with the natural gas appliance for operation and maintenance...this must be done by a qualified installer familiar with gas appliances".
Again, thanks for your help.

Yep that was in the days that logs and fireplaces could get generic approval. Now they have to be specifically tested and listed unit by unit. My father in law tried to do gas logs in an FPX this year and got the same answer from the manufacturer. That portion of the manual has been redacted and the knock out for a gas line no longer exists. Seems like a gray area where no one is taking liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.