Fireplace Extrordinaire Gas Conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calzephyr

Hearth Supporter
Jul 26, 2007
Hi Folks:

I'm a newbie here, but i have a question that I don't see addressed elsewhere.

I had a Fireplace Xtrordinaire installed when my home was built in 1993. It had the log lighter and gas option, but i chose not to install them and instead use it as a straight wood burning fireplace.

Now I'm getting old and lazy and want to convert it to gas. Can I now have a gas line run to it, use the "knock out tab" and run the gas in to a log set?

Any issues or recommendations?

I was told that FPX discontinued the "knock out tab" so that the fireplaces can not be used as either Wood or Gas. What was the issue? Is this conversion dangerous? gas leaks? Carbon monoxide? Explosions? Did they get sued?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate a quality forum like this.

- CalZephyr

If its one of those open faced energy wasters... yeah you should be able to run a gas line through the knock out and install a gas fireplace / gas log in there.

Are you looking for something decorative that sucks heat up the chimney, or something effecient that could be used as a zone heater.

Someone that works with that brand should able to tell you if there were any recalls or something of that nature.

One of the big concerns with a gas fireplace is the explosion potential you have with the build up of unburnt gas. You can get one with wood and pellets, but it is very minor in comparison.

ANSI Z21.88 is the standard most gas fireplaces are tested to today and it requires that a gas appliance not blow the glass out, catch cheese cloth draped in front of the appliance on fire, or create a leak in the firebox, or combustion air duct. One thing that an installer can likely tell you is that there is a big difference in the glass frame assembly between a gas, and wood/pellet unit.

I'm guessing this was part of the reason why you don't see this on modern units.

Don't see what on modern units? All the units we sell still have gas line knock outs on them.

FPX builds high efficiency fireplaces no energy wasting there at all. I suppose they probably used to put a gas line knock out in them to accomodate gas logs. Like any fireplace you can probably put a gas log set in it with no problems. One pov is that FPX may have discontinued the knock out for a gas line due to the fact that they build both gas & wood units and figure you want efficiency no matter what your burning so they make products that are efficient. There is nothing efficient about a set of gas logs so why promote them?

If his unit is a sealed high efficiency wood unit.... I would not recommend putting a gas log in it. Sounds scary to me.

With the bypass damper permanantly fixed open how is it any different than burning in a regular or zc fireplace. Seems like the rules would be the same doors open etc. A waste of a perfectly good fireplace but still could be done and would be no different than installing in an in efficient ZC.

jtp10181 said:
Don't see what on modern units? All the units we sell still have gas line knock outs on them.

jtp10181 said:
If his unit is a sealed high efficiency wood unit.... I would not recommend putting a gas log in it. Sounds scary to me.

Yes - sorry that's what I'm referring too. A wood fireplace with a glass front/door not one of those open front fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.