Fireplace Facade Coming Loose From Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jonsk3

Mar 20, 2024
Cleveland, Ohio
I recently purchased a 100-year-old home and noticed that the brick facade over the fireplace has a large gap on both sides and wobbles if you shake it a bit. I am not sure what to do about it. I had a contractor over here for another project and he suggested just dismantling it and then putting drywall over the original brick. I had someone else suggest just getting some heavy-duty L-shaped brackets and attaching the mantle to the wall for extra support. Wondering if anyone else has some cost-effective ideas. I am on a budget since I just laid down some cash to get the house.

tempImageZOpPWB.png tempImage6pYLYU.png

The cause needs to be determined. Make sure that the chimney is not moving due to a weak foundation or sinkage. If it is just the facade then rebuilding it may be the simplest solution. If this is a wood burning fireplace then sheetrock is not a good solution.