Fireplace Face Build Out? Possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jocam

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hello All,

I am looking for some advice. I have purchased a Morso 5660 insert. We are doing a "contemporary" livingroom make over and this insert is quite sleek.

The fireplace has been taken down to its base structure ie the mantel and exterior tiles are gone as is the original raised hearth. The present fireplace projects about 5 inches from the wall. I have enclosed pics.

I am having a fireplace mason come to give me advice and a quote for refacing the fireplace in a suitable stone/tile of some sort.

The big question is- Can I have the fireplace 'built out' further by another 8-10 inches?? Obviously this would have to be done appropriately with at least 12 inches of fire resistant material all around or whatever is required (not steel studs and cement board or so I am told).

I am not sure if this would change the fireplace so that it is no longer is a 'fireplace' by code. I am not sure if I would be creating a fireplace that is too deep for the insert to sit in thus making a connection to the steel liner through the damper difficult or perhaps affecting the performance of the unit. The present fireplace is 20 inches plus deep now.

Can anyone give me advice? I don't want to build a 'fireplace' that is unsafe!

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_3639.jpg
    IMG_3639.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_3640.jpg
    IMG_3640.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_3641.jpg
    IMG_3641.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 563
One concern about building it that deep would be that it pushes the insert so far forward that the vent from the insert no longer is able to align with the chimney flue. It would also mean extending the hearth into the room considerably.

How about closing off the fireplace and going with a stove for a contemporary look:

Attachments

• P1050868.jpg
    P1050868.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 550
I did this last year... tore down my face brick and built out the whole thing 6" exactly...that way the sides could accept 1/2 of a 12 tile(which was expensive) and to cut down on cuts and mistakes. I built a full scale mock up on the unit and used that for measuring. the flue off the back comes off at 45 degree angle which make this kind of install much easier... you could not do it with one straight out the top.... i cut out the lintel which it looks like you wont have to do, as you ahve better height than i have, and we raised it up on cinderblocks.

Steel should be fine with concrete board... also put in a couple of horizontal concrete boards and cemented them in place just for overkill as a firestop.

i know this is old... hope it worked out

Adios Pantalones said:
Carbon- is that your install? That's really slick

It is, and thank you.

Here are some post install photos. My hearth is not completely done yet. I need to complete it before I can sleep completely with a clear conscience. There are a variety of tiles in front showing some of the options we are considering.

Attachments

• IMG_4108.jpg
    IMG_4108.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 585
Status
Not open for further replies.