Fireplace Feng Shui

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

builderbob

Hearth Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Oregon
The chinese hold high regard for what they say are five basic elements: Fire, wood, metal, water, and earth. The chinese practice of Feng Shui apparently integrates these five basic elements.

Fireplaces hit three of those---fire, wood, and metal.

So, anyone have any good references, thoughts, ideas relating to fireplaces, interior design, and Feng Shui?

builderbob

Wood burners are the ultimate practitioners of Feng Shui. Placement of the stove, location of the woodpile etc. All planned to work harmoniously to keep ya warm. When your feet are warm your soul will surely follow.

Feng Shui translates to wind and water. Keep the wood in the wind and away from the water.

The best advice I can think of regarding a stove or fireplace insert would be to make sure that it is installed properly and to code.

Oh BTW, a better piece of advice may be to never buy a hearth product "made in China".

Other than that, have it inspected (or don't), stuff it full of seasoned wood, light and enjoy......

Doh, that was post number 666...... What does that have to say about Feng Shui???

Oh, now I'm on 667.....Never mind....

I dont care where it is located,
How big the glass is or if the warantee goes over 10 years
all I care about that it heats my whole house and I only have to load it once a day and clean it out once a week.
This is why I moved my stove from the middle of my house to the Far end corner of my family room.
OUT OF THE WAY

hearthtools said:
all I care about that it heats my whole house and I only have to load it once a day and clean it out once a week.
This is why I moved my stove from the middle of my house to the Far end corner of my family room.
OUT OF THE WAY

Confucius say Rod wise man. Confucius also say man who keep stumbling onto hot stove only make big impression on self.

I was just thinking, a woodburning fireplace has not only three of the elements, but four. Not only fire, wood, and metal, but also earth, in the brick refractory.

I wonder how "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" might relate to this philosophy?

builderbob

Heck, throw a kettle of water to steam atop a soapstone stove (or firebrick lined steel) and you get all of them.

builderbob said:
The chinese hold high regard for what they say are five basic elements: Fire, wood, metal, water, and earth. The chinese practice of Feng Shui apparently integrates these five basic elements.

Fireplaces hit three of those---fire, wood, and metal.

So, anyone have any good references, thoughts, ideas relating to fireplaces, interior design, and Feng Shui?

builderbob

actually woodburning covers the full spread: fire, obviously the progeny of fuel, heat, and wind(turbulence); wood, the food for the fire;metal, the home of the fire; water, an offspring of fire (water is created in the process of wood combustion); and earth, to which the carbon which was stored in the tree is released back.

thats a cool thought bob, i'll have to mull that one over some, glad that you brought it up

mike

hearthtools said:
OUT OF THE WAY

Rod! You kind of take the whole notion of *romance* out of the idea hearth and home.

Speaking of romance, I wonder why thy talk about re-"kindling" a romance. Or about there being "sparks" between two people. Or when pulp fiction refers to the "smoldering flames" of passion. Etc. Etc.

builderbob

Highbeam said:
Heck, throw a kettle of water to steam atop a soapstone stove (or firebrick lined steel) and you get all of them.

Good thought. That does get them all.

I was just thinking about water too. The best I could come up with was sitting down in front of the fire, feet up on the hassock, with a cup of hot tea.

builderbob

builderbob said:
hearthtools said:
OUT OF THE WAY

Rod! You kind of take the whole notion of *romance* out of the idea hearth and home.

Speaking of romance, I wonder why thy talk about re-"kindling" a romance. Or about there being "sparks" between two people. Or when pulp fiction refers to the "smoldering flames" of passion. Etc. Etc.

builderbob
romance is for the bedroom.
this is why 50% of the new home we sell to have a gas fireplace in the bedroom.
Yes Gas
The only think they have to stoke and clean is each other

hearthtools said:
builderbob said:
[

builderbob
romance is for the bedroom.
this is why 50% of the new home we sell to have a gas fireplace in the bedroom.
Yes Gas
The only think they have to stoke and clean is each other

This kind of leads me to another thought. This is kind of drifting off of the Feng Shui idea, but I remember reading a book 30-40 years ago, it was an autobiography of a star salesman. I've never been in sales myself, but for some reason one of his sayings seemed to lodge in my memory banks.

What he said was "Sell the sizzle, not the steak."

Now, I'm not on the business side of the hearth industry either. I'm on the consumer side.
And what has really got me, as a consumer, all hot and bothered about getting a woodburner is not burn times, not firebox size, not air control levers, not bypass dampers, or any of that.

What really gets me hot to trot on getting a woodburner "is" the romance of the idea----the thought of the lights dim, the wood fire crackling, sitting in the easy chair soaking in the heat on a cold day with a hot cup of tea, having my wife purring to me "why do you throw another log on the fire".

Yea, romance of a woodburning fire. That is the sizzle.

builderbob

What keeps me burning wood is the romance of lugging a few big splits into the house, putting them in the stove, getting secondary burn rockin and cuddling up to a Cutty Sark on the rocks and looking at my $70 February electric bill for the tenth time. That and the fact that wood is our only heat source.

THAT is sizzle.

I have been married for 32 years. Ain't no purring going on around here. Well, there is her damned cat...

Note: And peddler you read was Zig Zigler.

Lot easier to shead a few layers of clothing when its warm and the wine is flowing and the only light in the room is from the fire.

Even better she is tending the fire and shutting the lights off and sheading the garmets. And who cares if the bubbly played a key role

BrotherBart said:
........and looking at my $70 February electric bill for the tenth time. That and the fact that wood is our only heat source.

THAT is sizzle...........

Being a retired accountant, I can appreciate that idea of romance and sizzle, too.

And despite all I just said, the thought of insulated combustion air intake ducts does do a little to light my fires.

builderbbob

Just having a hearth satisfies many rules for good feng shui, as long as it doesn't sit idle. It is used, it is loved, it is needed, and gives great pleasure. And it saves money!

BeGreen said:
It is used, it is loved, it is needed, and gives great pleasure. And it saves money!

Sounds like the description of a 1987 Volkswagen Golf.

LOL. One difference is having an exterior chimney is bad feng shui. An exterior tailpipes on a Rabbit is a good thing. ;-)

stoveguy2esw said:
actually woodburning covers the full spread: fire, obviously the progeny of fuel, heat, and wind(turbulence); wood, the food for the fire;metal, the home of the fire; water, an offspring of fire (water is created in the process of wood combustion); and earth, to which the carbon which was stored in the tree is released back.

thats a cool thought bob, i'll have to mull that one over some, glad that you brought it up

mike

Let us hear what your mulling comes up with.

And staying on the Fireplace Feng Shui idea, I am interested in any references (websites, books, articles) on interior design/Feng Shui/goodlooking rock chimney-look ideas.

builderbob

In my surfing, I happened to run across an article from the Winnipeg Free Press paper about the Winnipeg 2006 Tour of Homes, and fireplace styles and trends.

Interesting, it says those under 45 are likely to choose wood. Nice to know I am thinking young!

Builderbob

Excerpts from the article:

"As for what types of fireplaces people are buying the most, Ms. Peters says it's a mix of about 40 per cent wood burning, 40 per cent gas and 20 per cent electric.

"There's the originality of wood, the crackle, the smells and the fire is the most realistic," Ms. Peters says of the everlasting appeal of a wood burning unit.

Moreover, the choices do have something to do with the buyers' ages, she says.

"Often when people walk in, I know what fireplace they're going to choose," Ms. Peters says. "If they are under about 45, they will probably choose wood, and older than that, gas or electric."

The wood burning units are also becoming more contemporary, she says.

"The traditional fireplaces are still very popular, but the contemporary fireplaces are a big part of the marketplace.""

I think that really means that the folks older than 45 do not want to be out cutting and splitting and stoking and adjusting to save money. Maybe the old folks have more money to send to the gas company or maybe they just value their time more highly.

Highbeam said:
I think that really means that the folks older than 45 do not want to be out cutting and splitting and stoking and adjusting to save money. Maybe the old folks have more money to send to the gas company or maybe they just value their time more highly.

Or they hurt in places they previously didn't realize were places. This 60 year old folks can understand that. About two more years of arm wrestling trees and I am either gonna have go find a house with a gas line (shudder) or start buying wood (choke). The good news is that there is a high volume firewood processor three miles down the road.

Been there thirty years. May be time to go say hi.

Googling "Fireplace Feng Shui" got me about 204,000 responses - perhaps there is a need to search for more info? :lol:

A few things I spotted on the first page...

from Qi Gong Magazine Faq
Q: How does a fireplace in the bedroom cause a couple to argue?
A: A fireplace contains fire energies which are known to be burning, dry, furious, dangerous and stuffy can aggravate the people in the bedroom to be moody or easily hot tempered, inducing quarrels and bickering. Again, this is one of 60 factors in feng shui and its affects will vary depending on the size, proximity, usage and people who use the bedroom. Crystals or green plants can be used to neutralize the fireplace's negative effects.
Maybe the gas burner in the bedroom isn't such a great idea...

From naturalhealthweb.com
Fireplaces: The best position for a fireplace is along the south wall of your home. The East, Northeast, Southeast and Southwest are also good locations. The worst position for a fireplace is in the northwest and in this case, it would be best to close it up or re-position it.

From Shambhala Publications
To counter a large, imposing fireplace, place a picture of a waterfall directly above the fireplace, or put a fountain next to it.

From indoindians.com
Make a fireplace the focus of the living room rather than having a large TV and/or a collection of hi-fi equipment dominating the room. Feng Shui agrees totally with this. If you can keep your TV to one side and minimize the effect of hi-fi and other stuff, the room will feel far more welcoming.

Such equipment along with computer equipment is a mixture of the elements of metal and water and while a little of these is wonderful, too much of them dominating the room is not good.

A nice square or rectangular living room is best, as there is nowhere for Chi to collect and stagnate. Unless your room is very small, avoid pushing the furniture against the walls so that it ends up looking like a dentists waiting room but arrange your seating in a horse shoe formation so that everybody can feel comfortable.

If your living room is not rectangular but an odd shape, put a plant in the odd shaped end in order to liven it up and to prevent stale Chi from gathering. Try to avoid sitting with your back to the door, as this will make you feel insecure.

Use a mirror over a fireplace that has been blocked off to make a small room seem more spacious. Avoid placing seats under a beam, as this will make the occupant insecure. Furniture shape and size must be in keeping with the room. Cushions and soft furnishings soften a room and introduce a touch of feminine Yin into a heavily masculine room.

Use the less importantly numbered areas of your room for sideboards, shelving, plants and other 'fillers'. Try to keep the centre of this room and the dining table tidy, if you have one, because this is considered to be a minor health area which will encourage well-being if it is kept clear of clutter and mess. Flowers and plants will encourage good Chi and they will soften any secret arrows that are in the room. It is considered inauspicious to use dried flowers and any cut flowers should be thrown out before they start to die.

Mirrors are useful when you need to extend an area of the house but avoid placing it in such a way that the reflection cuts your head in half when you are seated. A mirror over a fireplace as this is said to encourage good Chi to vanish up the chimney, but if the fireplace is ornamental and not actually used as an open fire, this is fair enough.

A mirror over a fireplace can make a small room feel larger and brighter. A tank of fish is considered a wonderful thing for promoting luck, money, harmony and peace. If your living room is situated at the front of the house this is definitely a great place to have one.

Seems like lots of stuff on the web, and I'm sure if that's not enough, you can find books on the topic at any decent New-Age (rhymes w/ Sew-Age) book shop...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Googling "Fireplace Feng Shui" got me about 204,000 responses - perhaps there is a need to search for more info? :lol:

A few things I spotted on the first page...

From naturalhealthweb.com
Fireplaces: The best position for a fireplace is along the south wall of your home. The East, Northeast, Southeast and Southwest are also good locations. The worst position for a fireplace is in the northwest and in this case, it would be best to close it up or re-position it.

From indoindians.com
Make a fireplace the focus of the living room rather than having a large TV and/or a collection of hi-fi equipment dominating the room. Feng Shui agrees totally with this. If you can keep your TV to one side and minimize the effect of hi-fi and other stuff, the room will feel far more welcoming.

Such equipment along with computer equipment is a mixture of the elements of metal and water and while a little of these is wonderful, too much of them dominating the room is not good.

A nice square or rectangular living room is best, as there is nowhere for Chi to collect and stagnate. Unless your room is very small, avoid pushing the furniture against the walls so that it ends up looking like a dentists waiting room but arrange your seating in a horse shoe formation so that everybody can feel comfortable.

Gooserider

Thanks, Goose, for filtering through the deluge.

Since our living room will be rectangular, and the fireplace will be by a south wall, I guess we'll be ok per the above. 204,000 hits on a google search---I had no idea there was that much stuff out there on the subject.

Now I need to look up Chi, and see whether it's good or bad for it to flow up a chimney. If it's bad, then I'll have to see if anyone sells Chi dampers.

builderbob

Status
Not open for further replies.