Fireplace grate heaters (and best one)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Does a grate heater actually work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

MadeInVermont

Hearth Supporter
May 17, 2008
Southwestern Vermont
I know this question has been asked before but it seemed the answers turned into not as efficient as an insert. I am a stove dealer in a 2nd home market... so this isn't really about gaining as much heat efficiency as with a wood insert. This is not a primary heating source just supplemental. The customer LOVES having good sized fires and wants large viewing area. He really doesn't want to lose the look of the fireplace (as an insert will restrict overall glass size) just to make it more efficient. So would a grate heater be worth the cost to help put some extra heat into the space?

My concern is that it's, more or less, snake oil. I just don't want him to feel that it's a complete waste of money. Just hoping others would weigh in on if they thought it was worth the investment given that this customer isn't looking for a huge amount of gains (as you would get with a wood insert).

So thoughts?

My concern is that it's, more or less, snake oil. I just don't want him to feel that it's a complete waste of money. Just hoping others would weigh in on if they thought it was worth the investment given that this customer isn't looking for a huge amount of gains (as you would get with a wood insert).
In generall they do nothing but the few I have seen that do extract enough heat to make a difference cause creosote problems due to cooling the exhaust to much. If they like their open fires that is fine but the chances of them getting any use able heat from it are pretty slim.

Why not convert it over to one of the newer high efficiency fire places? Some of those have huge viewing area and put out great heat.