Fireplace hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpt112300

Sep 16, 2023
Frederick, Maryland
Hello:
I have a gas fireplace insert that was installed when the home was built. It has a hearth in front of it that I would like to replace. I don't see replacements available online, so I'm concerned that it's part of the fireplace. It's thin (1/4" maybe), not sure what it's made of (metal maybe), painted black. Is this something that is put down by the installer? Do they glue it down? I'd like to pry it up and replace it if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

20230912_082315.jpg

Hello:
I have a gas fireplace insert that was installed when the home was built. It has a hearth in front of it that I would like to replace. I don't see replacements available online, so I'm concerned that it's part of the fireplace. It's thin (1/4" maybe), not sure what it's made of (metal maybe), painted black. Is this something that is put down by the installer? Do they glue it down? I'd like to pry it up and replace it if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

View attachment 315442
To replace the hearth you will need to remove the baseboard, mantle, and the legs of the surround as they all sit on top of the hearth.
Depending on the finishing requirements for that specific gas fireplace, a non combustible hearth extension may be required.

Depending on what it is, it may be possible to slip it out from under the casing of the surround, and then depending on what you're replacing it with, to use an oscillating tool to undercut the surround as needed. But I agree with Lennox, that you'd best be checking your insert manual for hearth extension requirements before even discussing any of that. I can't imagine any ember protection requirement for a gas insert, but all the same, it may be serving more than a cosmetic purpose.

Thanks for the replies. I've done some more research and the hearth appears to be part of a 4-part surround. Top, 2 sides, and hearth. The plan is to build a new mantel and hearth - removing the existing mantel and hearth. The hearth is stone (not metal) and looks to be 3/4" thick. I'd like to remove the hearth and not disturb the other 3 pieces of the surround. The question is, how was the hearth installed? Is it glued down? If not, I may be able to slide it out from under the surround. Worse case, I can break up the hearth and remove it in pieces.

Thanks for the replies. I've done some more research and the hearth appears to be part of a 4-part surround. Top, 2 sides, and hearth. The plan is to build a new mantel and hearth - removing the existing mantel and hearth. The hearth is stone (not metal) and looks to be 3/4" thick. I'd like to remove the hearth and not disturb the other 3 pieces of the surround. The question is, how was the hearth installed? Is it glued down? If not, I may be able to slide it out from under the surround. Worse case, I can break up the hearth and remove it in pieces.
I have mostly used thin set mortar to set hearths. 1/4" notched trowel, covering the entire area under the hearth. Sometimes silicone or Liquid Nails is used, in which case it would be a series of "dabs" of material. It is difficult to remove either of these types of installation unless you can get a flat bar under the hearth and slowly work it up. Usually the hardwood flooring doesn't allow the proper space or angle to get a tool under the hearth. Covering the hearth with a drop cloth and beating it with a hammer will work as a last resort.