FirePlace in a Cave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Regarding your earlier post- Ha!

Regarding this-

Right; I'm not asking for something to be unsafe- my point is that the regulations and reliability guidance may not be applicable to a cave.
In other words, all the regulations around the fireplace box itself, the flooring underneath it, and the distance to combustibles around it are logical and apply to the structure.
But the rules around the chimney and its distance from objects for both safety and reliability don't seem like they are all necessarily applicable to this context (i.e., an outdoor location with a rock wall and some 20 or 30 feet up to trees above..)

If a tree were above a house chimney, but it was 30 feet above the chimney which had an arrestor, would that be an issue?
Regarding the reliability, do I care that much about draft and creosote on the rock wall, as long as the smoke doesn't sit inside the structure?

Again, thanks for the thoughtful commentary, and glad some of you are enjoying the images.

Did you not see the firedancers? The live Dracula performance was also epic. He was slain in the back of the cave with a spike to the rock through his heart.

Good stuff.

I always go back to the rules set by government agencies, learn, and adapt them to my situation in a way that is usually safer and more efficient then the rules were designed to be. I truly believe that the guidelines are designed to be the MINIMUM expectations.

With that being said. Completely setting aside all the rules, guidelines, tests and years of experience....my main concern if I lived where you did will be a cave full of smoke. And the only solution that I see is to run your pipe clear of the top of the cave. Anyone here can tell you that certain days of the year they can walk outside and get a mouth full of smoke because the smoke from their chimney is not rising.

the warmer the area the harder it will be to get a draft, you are in a warm area for sure. I would just get a gas fire place. they have vent free ones at most you would have to hide I small line and air pipe in a chase, a lot easier than a chimney, you have the looks at touch of a switch. easy to turn off though, and you never have to feed it