fireplace in a coastal hurricane area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg

Oct 31, 2012
Wife wants a fireplace, but we live in coastal Alabama. Occasional tropical storms, driving rain. What would be chimney options to avoid leaking or wind driven debris knocking chimney off? the chimney will exit close to the highest point of the roof, so less will be exposed. I am swinging toward a gas fireplace,,yeah, it is cheating,

Braces and/or guy wires will definitely help. That is of course until it's no longer sane to be in the house! If the roof is peeling off, the chimney may be next.

If you go gas you dont even need a chimney?

But other than that there are plenty of homes on the coast with all sorts of chimneys. U dont see many metal chimneys exposed on the coast, there usually masonry or a chase covered in siding of some type. I am from the SC coast so i have seen my fare share of chimneys.

At my moms place, she lives on a creek about 2 miles back from the ocean, behind a barrier island. The condos there and most homes seem to have the ZC firplaces and the chase with now hardiboard on them on here community, use to be vertical wood siding before redo.

Status
Not open for further replies.