Fireplace in basement family room...little smoke/haze?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blthomas

Oct 14, 2006
Culpeper, VA
We have a ZC Superior fireplace in the basement.

I have some mixed wood, mostly Oak to the best of my knowledge. Cut and split since last year. Covered most of the time.

I get a nice coal bed, toss on some splits, pull the screens and enjoy. I tend to run the recirculator? constant when burning a good fire.

But the last couple fires seem to put out a bit of haze into the basement. It got irritating enough to my eyes last night I didn't reload like I normally would about 7:30ish. I just let it die out.

What could I do to improve this?

I haven't fully made up my mind about a insert, and if I had, I'm not buying one until mid season (November/December) for financial purposes.

I haven't cleaned yet :ahhh: but plan on it in a couple weeks when Dad gives me my brush and handles back.

Thanks,
Blair

Status
Not open for further replies.