Fireplace info/help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Adamgeerdes

Dec 6, 2020
Wellsburg, IA
Looking for some help or info on my fireplace. It is an older wood burning insert. It has an control knob on the wall near it, and when I turn it on I can hear a humming coming from being the insert. It sounds like a stuck fan, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access it, and I can't find any info online about this particular brand other than that they are out of business. Has anyone else ever used one of these or worked on one? Can I just use it as a regular fireplace or is burning in it without having the fan or whatever is not working functional dangerous? I'd love to fix it if possible but I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance.
16072965918733046249435240526011.jpg16072966168377492681716548927207.jpg16072966522601251852520566367372.jpg

It looks like an old zero clearance fireplace. Is there an external access panel?

Not that I can see anywhere. The insert looks to be mortared into the wall also so I can't get it out, and there are no visible screws or anything to remove

No rear or side access either? Seems nuts to bury a motor where it never can be serviced. There is a remote possibility that the motor is not the issue, but instead it's a bad wall control rheostat. A test would be to bypass that control with a switch.

So I've figured out how to access the fan. Had to do some tearing apart outside and remove some questionably routed duct work, but I've pinned it down to bad windings in the electric motor. New one is ordered and I'll have to do a little fab work but thanks for giving me the idea to look a little harder outside. Should be good and warm soon.

Reactions: begreen
Well done. Happy heating.