Q&A Fireplace Insert in Old house, small flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Craig, My house is about 100 years old. I have 2 fireplaces, both currently blocked off. I want to install a wood burning insert in one of them as a backup for power failures and to cut down on my gas heat costs. I have had the flue inspected and it is in good shape. The folks that inspected it said that it was too narrow (4-6" as I remember) to put anything except a pellet stove in, and then only if I re-lined it the whole way (it currently has a good masonry liner). Are they correct, or is there a narrow-flue application that I could buy? Gas and pellet stoves are really not an option. I live in Virginia, if that makes a difference for code purposes.

Answer:

They may be right..but then again, there may be a few work-arounds. If the flue is sound and tile lined, even a 4 x 6 flue should accept the small smoke output of a stove like the Jotul 602. Look at https://www.hearth.com/jotul

This stove has a 6 inch outlets, but earlier (European) versions of the same stove worked well with 5" or smaller outlets.

If the flue is 4 x 6" and unlined, then it must be lined to be safe. You'd need to use a minimum 5" stainless steel liner (you could ovalize it a bit to get it down. Again, this should work fine, especially if the chimney is tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.