Fireplace insert installation advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrob

Nov 17, 2008
Triad/NC
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while, but now decided to post. As a preface: I know very little about stoves or fireplaces.

I've ordered a Flame XTD 1.5 wood-burning insert for my fireplace, through a friend who is a chimneysweep.

When we install this thing, I asked if we need to attach the output directly to the liner and he told me that we can pretty much just slide it in there and let it use the existing flue (damper?). Is this okay?

He said my existing liner is in good condition and does not need to be replaced.

I really don't know what is necessary to get this to work in a safe and efficient manner, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Perhaps he is just trying to be a friend by saving you some bucks, but this is not the way to do it. He's talking about a slammer installation. That is not allowed. The insert will not work without a positive seal in the chimney. There needs to be at least a stub of pipe that goes above the damper to the first flue tile and then a block off plate installed. Most of us prefer a complete liner for better stove performance, easier cleaning and additional safety.

Download the manual from Flame's website for greater details and complete instructions.

Attachments

• insert-install.jpg
    insert-install.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5,719
You must have the same sweep as i had.
My guy said the same thing, after reading all about it here, he will not work on my house again.
I dont know why someone would give that kind of advice unless they just dont know any better.
My liner was about $400.00. With cap and stove connector. What are you gonna do when this needs cleaned
once or twice a year? Pull the whole stove? Some people use a direct connect, line half the chimney. Same thing, how are you going to clean it?
Its really worth doing it right, not something you want to cut corners on. Line the whole chimney. I was in the same boat as you are in.
After reading and asking alot of questions here, i was able to install my own insert. These guys here walked me through it and saved me about $1000.00
These stoves are engineered to use a 6" or 8" or whatever size flue comes out of the stove. My clay chimney liner is 18"x13". And stove is 6".
I am no engineer, but common sense tells me a 6" stove outlet to a 18"x13" chimney just aint right.
Hope this helps.

Brad

hmm thanks for clearing that up, guys. I didn't even think about how to clean it

I also forgot to mention that the previous owners installed a gas log insert and I'm removing that to install this.

I'm pretty sure he's just trying to save me some money, so i'll let him know this is how I want to do it. Where is a good place to get liners and such?

He's now told me he's found a used buck stove for MUCH cheaper than the other one new, so if I get that there's no reason not to replace the whole liner

Is this what I need?
http://base.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=hand9179913341044985787&size=1

http://base.google.com/base/a/1193597/D6698762251549194427

bfunk13 said:
You must have the same sweep as i had.
My guy said the same thing, after reading all about it here, he will not work on my house again.
I dont know why someone would give that kind of advice unless they just dont know any better.
My liner was about $400.00. With cap and stove connector. What are you gonna do when this needs cleaned
once or twice a year? Pull the whole stove? Some people use a direct connect, line half the chimney. Same thing, how are you going to clean it?
Its really worth doing it right, not something you want to cut corners on. Line the whole chimney. I was in the same boat as you are in.
After reading and asking alot of questions here, i was able to install my own insert. These guys here walked me through it and saved me about $1000.00
These stoves are engineered to use a 6" or 8" or whatever size flue comes out of the stove. My clay chimney liner is 18"x13". And stove is 6".
I am no engineer, but common sense tells me a 6" stove outlet to a 18"x13" chimney just aint right.
Hope this helps.

Brad

Good advice. However, I did the direct disconnect because my flue size is 6-1/4 x 9 I could not snake a 6 diameter down 15 ft without boatloads of work. It was only after all of this did installation which was pretty simple, considering I'm a mechanical engineer :), that I realize for evertime I have to clean out the flue properly I'll have to pull out the stove. Not fun! So I'll keep everything as is this season and do it properly come the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.