1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

fireplace mantel question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ymurf, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I am going to be closing in my fireplace framing. I am going to get a mantel of some kind,Maybe a chunk of cedar. How do you mount a mantel? Do I need to screw something to the framing before I close everything in? Pictures would be great.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    First thing with the mantel is to make sure the clearances to combustible requirement is honored. There are a variety of ways to mount it. A thick ledger cleat can be installed for it to rest on. Or a French cleat (works like a wedge) could be used.

Search on "how to hang a mantel shelf" for lots of how to guides on this topic.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-hang-a-fireplace-mantel#.URfvlSXzKi0
  3. brokenknee

brokenknee Burning Hunk

Loc:
    about 30 miles NW of Bemidji MN
    I was fireplace/stove shopping yesterday, on display they had the quarter log mounted as the mantel. I asked how it was mounted and he said take a 2X6 and mount it to the fireplace framing before you put any sheathing on. He said they use screws to mount the 2X6. You then mount the log to the 2X6 using small lag bolts from behind the 2X6 and screw into the log. He also said a little construction adhesive wouldn't hurt. The other two ways I am aware of was mentioned in the above post.

Make sure you do the above before you close in your fireplace with sheathing. The sheathing and the brick/stone or what you are going to finish it off will cover the thickness of the 2X6.

As stated above make sure to maintain the proper clearances
  4. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info guys.