Fireplace Selection Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmtm21

Sep 5, 2007
This is going to be a long message so bare with me. I am in the market to buy a new wood burning fireplace. I previously had a Superior gas log fireplace that was a waste of gas and money. In the process of remodeling the tile around the old fireplace, I decided it was time to tear out the old fireplace and replace with a new EPA certified wood burning fireplace. The fireplace will be installed in the main living room of the house that is connected to the kitchen and dining room all with 10 ft ceilings. I do not need something that will heat the entire house, I just want to make these rooms more comfrotable in the winter and maybe cut down on gas bills. The problem that I am running into is that all of these "hybrid" type fireplaces require 60 inches between the bottom of the fireplace and the mantle, I have only 45 inches. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and if so what did you do to resolve it, and no the mantle is not movable, it is connected to each wall in the room and runs the entire length of the room. If I am SOL on this idea, what are some other type of wood burning units that will provide me with a "good" amount of heat for the winter and not need this clearance. Thanks for the help, take care. Danny

Have you looked into a mantel shield? I don't really like the looks of them but they reduce the clearances.

Can you post a picture and provide more dimensions? It sounds like a complete tear out, is that so? If yes, is there room for a new wood flue with its required clearances and can this be done without affecting the current mantle?

I just bought a Pacific Energy Summit insert. It requires 21" and its 21" tall. So, the total height you need is 42". The Summit is probably over kill for what you are looking for, but a smaller insert would fit the bill perfectly. This thing has something like a 153" viewing window, so it's pretty much like a fireplace. I don't want to knock anybody's setup but those heat shields look awful. Here's a link to a few pics of them. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8287/

karl said:
I just bought a Pacific Energy Summit insert. It requires 21" and its 21" tall. So, the total height you need is 42". The Summit is probably over kill for what you are looking for, but a smaller insert would fit the bill perfectly. This thing has something like a 153" viewing window, so it's pretty much like a fireplace. I don't want to knock anybody's setup but those heat shields look awful. Here's a link to a few pics of them. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8287/

That's an insert. Not rated to be installed into a gas prefab unit.

Sounds like he has an old wood unit with gas logs in it. Best bet could be to put a wood insert into the old wood unit. Might also be able to bring the wall forward and make the mantle part of the wall? Pics would help with ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.