Fireview owners, can you measure something for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I have a double wall stove pipe and want to place a double wall tee right on it and attach that tee right to the back of a fireview. Has anyone set theirs up this way? If so I need a measurement. The distance from the back of the tee (towards the wall behind the stove) to the front edge of the stove. The reason is that I want to know the overall depth of the unit after all the jive is considered. I believe that my hearth will be legal but I would like to know how close it will be to the front edge.

Thanks

The woodstock sale ends on September 15!

Sorry can't help with THAT measurement. I'm single wall on the back - used their pipe to connect (90 to bend it straight up). If you don't get anyone with your exact setup and want me to take measurements, I'll be glad to although I don't know if it will help (sort of depends on how tight your tolerances are and how well you can extrapolate the differences). I don't suppose you asked the folks at woodstock for this measurement - they just might have it...

You're going to wish you opted for the larger box and thermostat! :)

Do it right the first time... Ditch the wife!!! :cheese:

Are you using DVL pipe? If so, you'll need the DVL adapter #8680 (or 8679 w/damper) to connect the tee to the back of the Fireview. We don't carry DVL so I can't measure, but from specs, it looks like it would be 34.5" from the back of the tee to the front of the stove, but don't quote me on that.

This is going to be a problem. The DVL double wall tee must be at least 6" from the back wall, then a 34.5" (20" stove plus 9.5" tee plus 5" adapter) stove, then 8" front clearance means a 48.5" minimum hearth depth which conflicts with the 44" minimum on woodstock's site. My current flue is double wall DVL and the back of it runs 10" from the combustible wall so I would need to tear out the hearth and build it at 52.5" deep. This thing will be way out in the room. Is there any way to make this thing smaller? The DVL 90 degree elbow appears to be just as "long".

The issue is that a double wall tee has all three snouts equipped with a twistlok fitting. Apparently this twistlok fitting isn't the proper way to attach the double wall tee to the stove's collar. Simpson makes an adapter that is twistlok on one end and a tapered "stove-pipe" plin end fitting on the other that they call an adapter.

I won't be rebuilding a hearth this winter so I will likely be waiting until next years sale before I buy the stove. The hearth requirements are pretty extreme for the woodstock.

I can't be the only one wondering here. Why do you need/desire this particular pipe to attach to the stove? Why not use single wall pipe out the back and straight up then adapt to whatever you need during the straight run? (Mind you everything I know about stove pipe I've learned here... which is perhaps more than the average joe but certainly not enough to know the obvious in many cases)

No problem slow1, I do not have a masonry chimney or fireplace behind the stove so the stove backs up to a combustible wall. That wall must be 18" away from a single wall pipe. 18" pipe plus the 12" or so for the elbow/tee to get into the stove puts the stove 30" from the wall. Double wall pipe only requires 6" to the wall and since my ceiling support exists at 10" from that wall I can't use single wall pipe even if I wanted to.

It's not a particular pipe, it is a close clearance double wall pipe.

What about using shielding on the single wall pipe, doesn't that reduce the clearance for you? That is what we did in our install - I believe it is acceptable per code (i.e. tested etc), and safe. Is it not allowed in your area or do you just not like the looks? Then again, maybe it won't be enough to save you... Looking at the manual that came with my stove it looks like that will get you to 10" on the stove pipe. You do have to put the heat shield on the first 36" vertical stack (I guess beyond that it cools down enough to not matter?). Seems that 10" is your target distance anyway.

I intend on doing the same type of install with a Keystone. I can't afford the added distance of an adapter either, so I have planned to connect the tee directly to the stove per http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L114.pdf. I don't have the pipe yet but do have the stove. From my cyphering I've yet to see why this doesn't work. I intend on useing 7" pipe and came up with 12-1/4" from back of pipe to back of stove. With 6" it would be 10-3/4". FWIW.

Todd, that's a single wall piece that isn't made by simpson. I don't know if you can mix and match brands. Regardless, the depth of that piece is only an inch less that the specified stove adapter.

beulahv, As in figure 2 of that document, Simpson doesn't specify an adapter between the tee and the stove. I don't have an adapter on my current stove either. I was going by Woodstock's advice that one was needed for their stove and if it is not needed then that helps a lot.

Surely someone has installed a woodstock with double wall pipe and can tell us how it worked. Anyone? Did you need the adapter?

Highbeam said:
Todd, that's a single wall piece that isn't made by simpson. I don't know if you can mix and match brands. Regardless, the depth of that piece is only an inch less that the specified stove adapter.

beulahv, As in figure 2 of that document, Simpson doesn't specify an adapter between the tee and the stove. I don't have an adapter on my current stove either. I was going by Woodstock's advice that one was needed for their stove and if it is not needed then that helps a lot.

Surely someone has installed a woodstock with double wall pipe and can tell us how it worked. Anyone? Did you need the adapter?

Under additional info it says it's made by Simpson. I was thinking since one side of the adapter connects to a ceiling collar wich is db wall it might connect to your tee and after you slide it into the stove collar and tee there should only be an inch or two of the adapter exposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.