Fireview Owners...requirements/limits for outside air supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
So, I've got a deposit on a Fireview. I don't think I NEED to use an outside air supply because it's an 80-yr-old house, but I'm hoping it might increase the efficiency and the perceived warmth in the room if I use it.

Now here's the potential problem. The piping would have to be pretty long and have at least four elbows. I would have to run it from a basement window over and into the chimney foundation, then up through the ash dump and over to the stove.

Does this kind of length and number of bends cause problems?

Do I need to forget about using outside air?

Can I just run the air supply to my open basement and suck the cold air from there?

I couldn't find anything on Woodstock's site about outside air supply.

You may do well to dig up some old threads on this topic. I was all for hooking one up on my new Fireview as well a couple months ago, posted a note here and it ignited a OAK/ant-OAK debate that was rather informative. Bottom line for me was that it seems there is insufficient evidence that an OAK will help, it could possibly cause issues (although again, no clear proof there either). What is definite is that there is additional cost and work involved in installing one and there is no reason that it MUST be done on initial install. So, I finally backed off on my plans and decided to install without it and give it a season of burning before making up my mind.

Thus a 'wait and see if you need it' approach may well serve you well too.

Don't get me wrong - there are some VERY strong supporters on both sides of the debate. If required by code in your area then you have to do it, but that is not the case in most areas.

Sounds like too much to bother with. I'd try without first, this stove doesn't suck that much air.

We originally were going to install the OAK but then decided to try it without. We are happy.

As for length of pipe for drawing air I don't see where that would cause to much concern as would the elbows. But with that much, I'd certainly advise trying it without the OAK.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I think I'm leaning the way you did, Backwoods Savage. Originally I figured outside air could only help, and I still think it makes sense, if for no other reason than you're not drawing cold outside air across your room. But maybe that is less of an issue with a stove like the Fireview. Also, the cost of the OAK & piping is so minimal, but on the other hand, the install would be a royal pain.

I'm thinking now that I'll do the wait and see. I can always ante-up for the $40 plus shipping later. Now I can justify getting the rich metallic brown paint finish that I really wanted ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.