fireview question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cord8888

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2007
southeastern ma
I inherited my grandfather's old woodstock fireview a few years back, I think it was made in 1982. I only use it on occasion when I am working in my basement. The stove has a crack in the stone on the very top of the lift up top. The crack does not affect the operation of the stove but I took a trip up to the factory and they helped me find a matching replacement stone. The trouble is I cannot get the 4 large regular head screws out of the cast iron frame that holds in the stone on the back of the lift off top. I think that I have tried everything including liquid wrench, LPS, heat. The screws are not rusty or damaged, and they look like they should back right out. Any suggestions?

Can you take it to a local machine or metal shop? They should be able to get those out. How about some pics of that old Fireview?

Ironically, I am a machine shop instructor, I am saving the drill-out and re-tap operation as a last resort option. But unfortunately, I think you may be right on track! I completely refurbished the stove 2 years ago along with upgrading the catylyst assembly to the modern configuration. The old boy runs better than my 2004 model upstairs. I think the crack was from one of those winter afternoons when gramps would boil steamers in beer and let the pot overflow on to the top of the stove. Maybe I should just leave it alone, it never seemed to bother him. The stone cost me about 80.00 and a 2 and a half hour ride though. I am working on the pics of both of my stoves. Thanks again

Yeah, leaving it alone while tapping on it here and there and praying that one day it will come loose- now that is a real solution (it's what I would do).

Vibration seems to do the job when nothing else does. Of course, direct heat (a torch) on it can help......just make it expand and then when it contracts it might let loose.

Good luck. Looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks Craig, I think you convinced me to break out the tools, I tried heat, with no success. The foolish screws look just as if they were installed two months ago! I can't figure it out. They do not look seized at all. I will keep the helicoils handy, the holes in the casting appear to be very shallow. Thanks again, Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.