Firewood. $2 per stick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's a convenience issue. People going camping who want a fire. They don't have a pile of wood at home or a chainsaw or wood splitter or a pile of nice dry wood. None of that stuff. Hey there's a convenient wood stand there by the side of the road.

Also it's both unwise and in some places illegal to move firewood too far, because of tree diseases. For instance in NY you're not supposed to move wood more than 50 miles unless it's sterilized. I have given wood away but only to locals and only species that don't carry pathogens. We have Sudden Oak Death here so oaks and bays (a carrier) stay on the property.
I don't think that is a risk in the desert, where wood is a supply issue.

Between either renting a cabin, buying a cabin, a camper or camping gear, and getting yourself there, IE fuel, food, etc that firewood may be the cheapest thing they buy on that camping trip.
Although I’d be a bit irritated it it was still wet cottonwood or something for that price.

That picture was taken outside of Big Bend in west Texas. We did not have any campfires... and yes, it is an issue of supply/demand. I included enough of the landscape to ensure I wasn't being misleading with my post. In Wisconsin that price would be insane... but wood was selling in Terlingua, TX. Bundles were $11 at other locations not far from that trailer.

If I had wanted a campfire, I could have scrounged dead wood outside of the NP borders. There is a lot more timber down there than I expected to see. Lots of mesquite and mystery trees along the arroyos and cottonwoods along the rivers.

I see $20 for a haphazardly filled wheelbarrow along the road here.
Not seasoned more than 2-3 months I suspect.