Firewood. $2 per stick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MongoMongoson

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2021
Wisconsin
This is outside of a National Park, near a campground, where you can expect to see extreme prices for wood.... but this is the most extreme I have ever seen.

20211231_093237.jpg

I am always amazed that people will buy 6-8 small pieces of bundled firewood at the grocery store for $8.99, and the store seems to sell a lot of it.
From what i can tell its the new yorkers and people from jersey visiting that buy that.. heck i should put a sign in front of my home "3 pieces 10 bucks" 😂

I think it is a supply issue.

I just showed this to my wife, to point out how rich I have made us this past year and a half, getting three years ahead...

It did build more appreciation :)

I know when I got my kiln dried oak wood from GA--It was over a few hundred dollars for about 1/4th a yard when I was getting my wood supply in for emergencies..Look at all those wood's men jumping around "even days before the holidays" working hard to get more wood in when they have "plenty"--Why even one's lovely wife complained or was going to complain about having more wood when they had trouble storing the other batches in their drive way-----these people know the price of a dollar and its hard work too (work done) and you need all that equipment too.. That person will get that price if people do not have any wood and they need to heat their home when the heat goes off---so high--wow but I know what I paid--a lot...clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Or if you want to burn but are unable to process wood. E.g. because of health or get reasons.

I'm glad I can process. Free heat is good😊

Reactions: PAbeech
If i didnt have access to free firewood i would not be burning it. Paying for wood just doesnt make sense to me but i guess if you live in a city or suburb you have to
I have plenty of access to Ash, but at 65 with a bum shoulder, there is only so much I can process by myself. I have to supplement by buying, but luckily my guy has seasoned oak and ash and sells it for $230 a full cord delivered. I think that is very reasonable. I guess a lot of people don't know how much wood costs, so they pay the price, or they have no choice (like you said, city and burb dwellers).

What part of the island are you on. I grew up in lindenhurst..

About an hour drive from there to the East. North Shore.

If i didnt have access to free firewood i would not be burning it. Paying for wood just doesnt make sense to me but i guess if you live in a city or suburb you have to
It would still be the cheapest form of heat here even if I had to buy it. Except for cold climate mini-splits working in their efficiency sweet spot.

Are you able to supply your own wood from your property? When i lived on long island i was always envious of big propertys with with trees as it is so scarce there

No, property here is way too expensive to have enough to provide my own wood. Quite some woods here, but not mine...
(In Eastern TN though, that was different...but I didn't need a stove there with the electric rates so low and the winters mild).

I have befriended a tree company here that drops off loads that I then process.

Reactions: clancey and PAbeech
Did everyone seriously miss where the wood is being sold in a desert, a place without trees. You can charge whatever you want for ice in a heat wave.
Yeah........but it takes a dam good salesman to sell Ice Cubes to an eskimo........................

Yeah........but it takes a dam good salesman to sell Ice Cubes to an eskimo........................
Which is a totally different situation than selling firewood in a place where there is none, in fact the exact opposite.

My apologies, sometimes levity doesn't translate on the internet, and I've had a rough day.
No problem............... take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of your day.

I think it is a supply issue.

It's a convenience issue. People going camping who want a fire. They don't have a pile of wood at home or a chainsaw or wood splitter or a pile of nice dry wood. None of that stuff. Hey there's a convenient wood stand there by the side of the road.

Also it's both unwise and in some places illegal to move firewood too far, because of tree diseases. For instance in NY you're not supposed to move wood more than 50 miles unless it's sterilized. I have given wood away but only to locals and only species that don't carry pathogens. We have Sudden Oak Death here so oaks and bays (a carrier) stay on the property.

Reactions: mar13