Firewood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gunks

Oct 27, 2009
Ulster Cty, NY
Got these firewood last June. Still feel pretty heavy and burn really well. Any idea what they are. I live in New York.

8017D7C1-0947-421B-A731-8D4A7B410E39.jpeg

The far and near pieces look like red oak. The middle piece looks like black birch?

Reactions: Lakeside
Top one I'm guessing white oak.

Middle one the bark looks like black cherry. Wood looks like red oak, so I don't know what my guess is.

Bottom one reminds me of something I got from Menards in a kindling bundle. My kindling piece seems to be red oak.

I'm thinking the top is white oak, as the bark looks kind of flaky. The middle looks like red oak, the bottom is a piece of wood. Also, if that's what they are, it might be a little soon to be burning them if they were green when you got them.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
The far and near pieces look like red oak. The middle piece looks like black birch?

I made a mistake with the red oak - white indeed.

Last edited: