Firewood identification help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
Need some help identifying this firewood. It came from a downed tree, about 50 feet tall or so, about 20" diameter at the base. When I saw it, I thought it was ash due to the branch structure. However, now that I'm out cutting and splitting it, and getting a better look at the bark, it doesn't look like ash. By the way, I'm terrible at tree ID!

Here are pictures of the rounds and of the splits. I didn't take any pictures of the branch structure. I can go back and get pictures if nobody can ID it from these pics.

20171024_111831-4K.jpg

20171024_112009-4K.jpg

The more I look at it, it looks like maple, but it splits WAY easier than any maple I've ever encountered. It's actually quite a pleasure splitting this wood.

It does have the signature hole down the center like ash. The bark looks more into a maple or hickory. The split also looks ashy but could be maple. One thing is for sure... That is FIREWOOD and looks to be one of the better, higher btu species.

Maple is also an alternate branching tree so they branch very similar to ash

^^^thats sposed to say opposite branching^^^

Last edited:
Reactions: max384
Aspen. I'm 100% certain

Last edited:
I am with nrford, and think this is Bigtooth Aspen. Around here (Centre County, PA) we have lots of large Bigtooth Aspen like the one in the photo. It is usually straight, without knots, and very easy to split. Unfortunately it is pretty light when it dries out.

aspen , boxwood although i do not see any leaves from it

Is Aspen the same as Poplar? The bark (to me anyway) looks like Poplar, but, I could be wrong.
Aspens are called poplar by some people. The genus of aspen is Populus, so they are the "true" poplars. There is also a tree called Tulip Poplar, which is not related and people might call Tulip Poplar simply Poplar, or Yellow Poplar. Confusing.

Too bad I scored a low BTU aspen
Don't knock it completely. I thought the same way until I cut a poplar on my own prop, about a cord worth. That stuff rocks for start ups/reloads and early fall/spring heat. I would take more if I found some. Once dry, a split's like a 3lb match stick. Several on the bottom of ash or oak and I loved it.

Reactions: Soundchasm
To me, bigtooth aspen is decent firewood (some types of poplar are not). The photo looked like red maple to me, but I defer to more experienced eyes.

yeah definitely aspen. I actually love getting me some aspen, easy to split and a great wood to burn in shoulder season when you feel bad burning good stuff just to take the chill out of the house, plus i love how it smells when cutting and splitting it. Wish i had more on hand than i do at the moment.