Wood identification help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

racer765

Oct 5, 2023
Michigan
Hello everyone,
I'm new to burning wood and still learning. In our recent wood stove and stainless pipe install I've only burned oak and ash so far. My inlaws gave us a bunch of seasoned firewood that was left at a home they purchased that was a mix of ash, oak, and this other wood I haven't been able to identify. I've been hesitant to use it without knowing what it is. I want to make sure it is not pine. In the pictures the bark looks different but the weight, grain, and texture of the wood is the same in all of those pieces. The wood is light in color and significantly lighter in weight than the oak and ash. It did not feel sticky like sap. I'm wondering what this wood is and should it be burned in a wood burner? Thank you for your help.

IMG_20231130_121803928_HDR.jpg IMG_20231130_121828809_HDR.jpg IMG_20231130_121855707_HDR.jpg

The bark looks like pine
If it is dry burn it burns hot and fast
A lot of people like and burn pine. I don't
because I have 220 acres of maple and Oak
Pine here goes to the fire pit

Nothing wrong with pine as long as it's dry. I burn a lot of it in the stove, it works well to get things started then add something heavier for heat.

I'll vote cottonwood.

Reactions: River
Thank you everyone for the replies! I feel a lot better knowing it's ok to burn . I checked the moisture content as it seemed pretty dry. The pieces were all 7-8%. I just put some in tonight and it burns fast and hot.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I feel a lot better knowing it's ok to burn . I checked the moisture content as it seemed pretty dry. The pieces were all 7-8%. I just put some in tonight and it burns fast and hot.
Yep looks plenty safe. Just keep an eye on it those softwood catch fast and get hot in a hurry.

🤣🤣🤣 I know, you just had to do it! Somebody ALWAYS says red oak!
They always do even when it's not red and doesn't have oak grain. Lol

To me it looks like a maple. There are some dark streaks in the grain looking closely. Poplar is usually uniformly light colored. Would need to see non dirty grain in the sunlight.

Regardless it'll burn if dry. Make sure you're measuring a fresh split face not just jamming it in anywhere. Wood doesn't usually get to 7-8% without kiln help unless you're in a desert.

I have a lot of Cottonwood on my property. That is cottonwood!😁

Popular has a very rough bark like black locust. As you ascend the tree the edges of the rough bark diminish leaving what the OP's pic shows.

Popular has a very rough bark like black locust. As you ascend the tree the edges of the rough bark diminish leaving what the OP's pic shows.
So does cottonwood. They are both in the same family.