Firewood in Connecticut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zoso2385

Nov 4, 2018
Southeastern, Ct
Hi all,

This winter will be my first winter with a wood stove. I have about 6 cords of wood split and stacked, but unfortunately none of it is dry. It’s 90% oak and maple. I’m wondering if anyone here knows where to get good dry wood for burning this season. Whether it be a dealer or a local guy. I’m located in eastern Ct.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome .. the good news is that you have wood. I would take some of your own wood and do a cheap kiln and dry what you have. Do you have a moisture meter, if so thats great if not you need one. From every thing i have read. Your not going to get truly seasond wood.. sub 20%mc from your local seller. Your going to get wood thats split that has sat out for a while and is dried some. This is where your MM comes in handy. You still have time to get your own wood down to 20% but you need to get a move on. You could also purchas additional wood.. and put that in a kiln and dry that and it could be ready for the winter, but again you need to do it soon as your 60 days away from the fall solstice
Most on here dont buy wood, i havent paid for wood at all. I dont buy for a number of reasons, i get mine for free. I slect what i want to burn, i know when it was split and will be ready, its cut the lengths thats perfect for my stove. When your purchasing wood from someone its normally a mix and not fully seasoned...my guess would be wood that your getting is about 30% mc if not a little higher.. When you buy, split the wood open and on the fresh split side put in the MM and take a reading to see where its at.
Hope this helps

Great question! You could certainly make a solar kiln, another great option that I found my first year when I was in your situation was compressed wood bricks. Most places that sell pellets will sell pallets of those. If your wood isn’t horrible (at least a bit under 30% moisture content) you can always mix the bricks in with your wood. It isn’t the best but it’s a heck of a lot better than burning wet wood. Or just burn only the bricks. As mentioned by woodsplitter you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone selling actual seasoned wood unless you get lucky and find some home owner that’s unloading his wood stacks on Craigslist.

It is true that many people on here don’t buy wood, but there are plenty, like myself, who do. I don’t have trees to cut down, don’t own a pickup truck to be driving around scrounging for wood, and the price of log length wood delivered in nh is so high that it’s simply just easiest and the most cost efficient (if I factor in my time) to buy fully processed wood. If you’re in that boat maybe take a look at a compressed wood brick solution as you know for sure it will be dry.

Read the solar kiln thread, you have plenty of time to dry out out that way, if for some reason you can't there's a lot of good options for compressed wood products, Im going to get two pallets of Presto-Logs this year. I'm just north of you on the CT/MASS line.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Hi all,

This winter will be my first winter with a wood stove. I have about 6 cords of wood split and stacked, but unfortunately none of it is dry. It’s 90% oak and maple. I’m wondering if anyone here knows where to get good dry wood for burning this season. Whether it be a dealer or a local guy. I’m located in eastern Ct.

Thank you!

When was the wood stacked?

Most of the wood was stacked around March of this year and right now it is reading 38% on the moisture meter. I have about a cord of maple I cut and stacked last summer and it is at 34%. Not sure why it’s taking so long to season the maple. It’s gets a few hours of sunlight everyday and I top cover it if it is going to rain for 2 or 3 days during a week.

I have thought about the solar kiln idea and the compressed wood option. I’d be more inclined to get some compressed wood

Thanks for the ideas. I found one company that claims to only sell seasoned wood at 20%. $220/cord delivered. Not sure how accurate they’re statement will be.

I would ask the seller if you can test the wood with your moisture meter before purchasing. Make sure to do so by splitting a piece or two of the wood wood and testing on fresh split. In your situation, I’d buy if the wood is mid 20’s or under for use this season.

Btw, whereabout in eastern ct are you?

Last edited:
Nice, if you were closer to the coast, I’d warn you about a couple sellers I’ve had issues with on the past.

Split your wood smaller, it'll have a larger surface area and dry faster.

Look for a source of pallets. They are often free and very dry. Mix it in with your wood.