1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Firewood Lawsuit

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Gehl Family, May 16, 2011.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Best answer so far. Don't think it can be beat. Rick

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fire_N_ice

fire_N_ice Member

Loc:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    was a police report ever filed for the "theft"?

a difficult neighbor, no matter how nice you are, will be just that. When we first moved in, our neighbor next door was sort of sedey and put off. his kids would come over only if they had something to sell and would be very nice. next day said hello to them and the kids looked at me like i had 10 heads. Another day, i noticed the husband out side doing some yardwork. he looked me up and down and looked the other way. and so on. I notice their siding is coming off and wood frame around their window is rotting. Been like this for a few years. don't say a word to him. The neighbor behind me is wonderful. we keep to ourselfs and every now and then we will have hour long conversations updating our families and events. they have a firepit and I do supply wood for them when they run out or forget to split theirs.
    Anyway I would of either not said a word or just asked the head of the house.
    Good luck with this situation
  3. richg

richg Minister of Fire

I disagree. It would be one thing if you asked an adolescent minor for permission or tennants if it was a rental house, but the wife is a competent adult. Most states require that the wife be on the deed to protect them in the event of divorce. This guy has no case. If you need a defense theory about having cut down dead trees, a moisture meter willl solve the problem. the mositure content of standing dead would should be far less than that from a freshly-cut live tree.

Eitehr way, the guy is a jerk. This could be a situation for Liquid @ss.
  4. oilstinks

oilstinks Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NC
    I thought the wife was the boss anyway? Maybe i need to reevaluate my marital relationship. :) Around here it is 800 to 1200 bucks for a tree removal. Id draw up a bill just in case but i dont think it will ever go to court especially if the wife admits she gave permission.
  5. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    I would contact my attorneys Smith & Wesson, seriously, just face the windbag in court, Randy
  6. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    The wife gave permission & if she was there at the time you cut the trees she also didn't stop you. I'd like to be there when he tells the judge his wife didn't have the authority to let you cut the trees, especially if the judge is a women. I can always use a good laugh. The courts usually deal with "whats reasonable". You come across as very reasonable & shouldn't have any troubles representing yourself, Randy
  7. offroadaudio

offroadaudio New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pa.
    If a neighbor asked my wife something like that when I was not around, I would be pissed.
    You want to cut down your neighbors trees? - manly business - talk to the man OR both of them together - it's called respect.
    That being said - the court thing is still BS - don't worry about it.