Firing up the our new Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backpack

Sep 2, 2010
Virginia
My wife and I recently purchased and had installed a Woodstock Fireview. We owned a Hearthstone Homestead in our previous home and came to appreciate soapstone. While the Homestead is a good stove, we decided to take a step up -- as we see it -- to a Fireview. We recently purchased my great grandparents' 1920s farmhouse and are hoping the stove meets our heating needs in this special home. My wife maintains a blog and just posted regarding our first fire in the Fireview (complete with photos!). Here's the link: http://www.greenacresmama.blogspot.com/

Well blogged! Looks great in that room, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks. The room is actually a work in progress. We had to repair extensive termite damage and ended up having to remove all of the heart pine flooring, as well as the joists and a couple of beams; we have since replaced the joists and beams and even insulated the floors. I salvaged the flooring and, with the stove no longer sitting on a pallet in the middle of the room, just started reinstalling the heart pine this evening. All this to say, please excuse (and ignore) the plywood floors. =)

Welcome to the forum, your going to love that stove. Plenty of other happy Woodstock owners here and lots of good info.

Nice install. Wise choice. Even though you have burned with soapstone, remember there is a learning curve with any new stove.

I, too, upgraded from the Homestead to the Fireview.

Backpack said:
My wife and I recently purchased and had installed a Woodstock Fireview. We owned a Hearthstone Homestead in our previous home and came to appreciate soapstone. While the Homestead is a good stove, we decided to take a step up -- as we see it -- to a Fireview. We recently purchased my great grandparents' 1920s farmhouse and are hoping the stove meets our heating needs in this special home. My wife maintains a blog and just posted regarding our first fire in the Fireview (complete with photos!). Here's the link: http://www.greenacresmama.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the forum Backpack.

I'm sure you will be very happy with the Fireview. You are right that it was made in America by American craftsmen. It will last you many, many happy years.

Congratulations not only on the new stove but also on the new house and the anniversary! btw, were you perhaps at the Woodstock mortgage burning party in September?

I was not at the mortgage burning event. We had planned to go, but the drive from Virginia was just too much for that weekend. In the end, we had the stove shipped and were happy with the way things worked it. (With the $100 shipping fee, it was much cheaper to go that route, as tolls and gas in our van would have cost much more.) We would love to visit the Woodstock factory sometime and may very well make the trip this summer. I read some of the posts on this forum from folks who attended; were you there?

Backpack, the company kept bugging me to come to one of their outings and we too balked at the mileage (over 900 miles one way) and they always seemed to have them at the wrong time of year for us. We thought this year would be the same with that party originally scheduled for August....right about the time peaches ripen. But they moved it back to September and away we went. Wow! It was really great visiting the factory and all the people. Not only people from Woodstock, because they all were great but we also got to meet a few from hearth.com, including Craig (webmaster). Then we also were happy to meet many others and make some new friends. It really was a great weekend for us and I'm glad we went. I would highly recommend it to all for next year. In the meantime, enjoy that Fireview!

Hopefully the break-in fires are done now and you can just wait a few days for some cold air and then enjoy it all. But I have to warn you. We were suddenly slammed with 70 degrees! Yes, it is 70 outdoors right now and more forecast for tomorrow. Then the party is over as some high wind is forecast and that usually will bring some much cooler air. We did not have a fire last night and that is the first time for quite some time without a night fire for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.