First "Break In" Fire For the Hearthstone Homestead!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmattingly

Jun 17, 2009
Southern,NH
Some small kindling and 3 small logs. Burning off the "new" smell as I type.
Temp is up to 250-275.
I know.........pictures!
I will get them up as soon as I can.

Im thinking pictures are needed on this one ;-)

HA! Sounds geat! I started the same yesterday with the EQ. The retailer I bought it from sent me a letter telling me to run "several" B/I fires. Well, as of now I have run 5 and each time I get a little hotter. Stove top temp as follows: 75, 85, 100, 150, 205. Flue temp with a probe type was: 100, 110, 175, 200, 310. Oh so sweet! Tonight when I get home it will get yet another dose. :coolgrin:
Enjoy!!!
Scott

Careful, not too hot on that first fire, you just want to cure the mortar between the stones and release any moisture. Then bring the temp up gradually with two more break in fires and you should be good to go.

Yikes, that first fire shouldn't get too hot. I wouldn't go past 250 even on my annual fall re-break-in fires. The first fires on a new stove should be even cooler.

Yeah,
I might of let that stove get too hot.
I blame my excitement and lack of patience.
I think everything is ok.

Now about those pictures...

Didn't happen!!!!!

2nd fire going right now. Making sure it is cooler than last night.
Having the WORST time getting pictures on this site. Going through the directions and everything.
Arrrgh!!

You cant have a second fire tonight if the first fire did not happen.
No pics = didn't happen

My first fire last night was a lot hotter but for a short time, ( not a new stove ) and yes I did post a pic in a different thread.

Well after all that, I don't think this picture it too exciting, but hey the 2nd burn of the season usually doesn't get any spotlight!

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 325
Nice looking stove! Are those logs facing n/s??

CTburns said:
mikepinto65 said:
Nice looking stove! Are those logs facing n/s??

I just noticed your signature, Mike. Wheatens do rule!

HaHa, do you own one as well? I have a couple pics of mine in the perfect picture, I started a thread titled "lets see your best friends"

Whoa! did you get to 250 on the meter shown in that photo? If so then you don't know what temps the stove got to. You need to move that meter down to the stove top as the manual specifies to properly monitor the stove temp. Flue temp is secondarily important. I can have the actual flue temp to 900 within 20 minutes and the stove temp isn't even to 300.

I am notorious for never, ever reading a manual. So would you say it is more important to have the gauge on the stove itself then on the flue? Or perhaps I should just get a gauge for each?

I have a gauge for each as of about a month ago. The flue meter is more for fun really and I have always had a stove meter. The most important temp is the stove temp, your manual should even tell you right where to put it. The worst thing you could do would be to overfire that stove which would void the warranty which should otherwise cover cracked stones and failed internals. Overfiring is determined by stove temp and not pipe temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.