First Burn 2013/2014

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Went to my uncle's cabin in Bemidji, MN last week (Thursday, Aug 8th). It was in the lower 60's and dropping into the mid-40's that night. I fired up the stove within 30 minutes of getting there (my sister had predicted 4 minutes). It is a beautiful cabin, but is not insulated.

The stove is actually an insert and is a behemoth. I think it is a home- made stove and has a bigger firebox than my Blaze King King. That surprised me! I loaded huge chunks of pine into that old smoke dragon and it cranked out the heat! Stove dumped straight into the masonry chimney, so it was a bit smoky on startup and refill. One giant load barely left enough coals for morning though, so it really displayed the advantage of modern stoves.

Still it was fun to burn again and very cozy. The next day was cool too so we kept her going for another 24 hours...the place was nice and warm. By Saturday, the temps jumped way up to 81 and we were out pulling the kids around on the lake on tubes and swimming!

Anybody else burned yet? I never thought I'd be burning in early August!

Reactions: firecracker_77
Not for quite a while here, and the stove is in pieces right now. Fist burn last year was Oct 30 and that's early. Thanksgiving time is more usual for us.

Sounds like you had a great cabin trip.

There may be tonight and tomorrow night in some spots. Many places in Michigan won't even reach 60 today and tonight will be in the lower 40's. Could be cool enough for some to have a fire. Looks like our high today is 66 officially but we didn't get that high here. 40's the next 2 nights. We'll snuggle close tonight so won't need a fire. ;)

I will get to open the windows and shut down the A/C tonight for the first time in two months. No fire.

Perfect weather here in the mid 70's but it gets kind a cool at night so I need to shut the windows before bed to keep a little heat in. Also noticed some trees starting to change color, that's about a month too soon.

I think I would wrap myself in blankets before using a stove in my house at this time of the year. A cabin, no worries. It is against my principles.... LOL.

ANdrew

Had the first one a few days ago...another this morning.
Kindling fire, and added 3 soft Maple splits from last Oct c/s/s fest. They either aren't quite dry, or it was just a bit too warm by the time I put those in.
No sizzling.
It was 48 this morning. 44 called for overnight tonight. I'll check in the morning. Might have another.:cool:

Hoping not to have a fire till October. It's fun to burn, but I want my fuel to last.

Same here. Even with a brand new insert in I'm holding off as long as possible. Have plenty of wood but I'm just cheap with it I guess.

57 degrees in the house this morning. The wife was freezing, i was enjoying it. Was looking at the fireplace and wishing I had a stove, but I wouldn't have fired it up. By the time I get home, the house will be warm.

57 degrees in the house this morning.
!!! It was only 54 outside here this AM . If it gets down to the lower 60s in here, a fire will be lit.
Upper 70s here today....I think I will cut some wood.::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.