First Burn in the Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randy Acton

Oct 21, 2014
MI
Couldn't wait any longer and decided to do the cure in burn when I got home from work Friday morning. I put in 6-7 small splits and cut up some of the shipping crate, firebox wasn't even half full. Slowly crept the stove up to about 450 and left it there for a bit then cranked it to around 600. I engaged the cat after a couple hours of burn and slowly backed down the air until the secondaries kicked.

For this being the first fire, I have to say that this stove can put on a beautiful show. I lit the fire at 8:45 a.m. and finally made it to bed around 12:00, when I woke up around 6:00 p.m. I was surprised to find that the stove was still putting out quite a bit of heat and enough glowing coals left to start another load. Granted the weather is very mild right now but still quite impressive.
First Burn in the Ideal Steel First Burn in the Ideal Steel

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't wait any longer and decided to do the cure in burn when I got home from work Friday morning. I put in 6-7 small splits and cut up some of the shipping crate, firebox wasn't even half full. Slowly crept the stove up to about 450 and left it there for a bit then cranked it to around 600. I engaged the cat after a couple hours of burn and slowly backed down the air until the secondaries kicked.

For this being the first fire, I have to say that this stove can put on a beautiful show. I lit the fire at 8:45 a.m. and finally made it to bed around 12:00, when I woke up around 6:00 p.m. I was surprised to find that the stove was still putting out quite a bit of heat and enough glowing coals left to start another load. Granted the weather is very mild right now but still quite impressive.
View attachment 200703 View attachment 200704

Very good looking setup you have.

I like the skeletonized handle. Looks neat. Nice looking setup!

Thank you all!! The wife and daughter wanted to see it burn so I lit it up again Saturday morning. The secondary light show that this stove puts on is nothing short of mesmerizing!!

Yeah it is pretty sweet!

Don't be suprized if it gets even better once the temps drop and you get more draw from your stack. The secondaries will get really intense. The fun part with this stove is you can have the awesome fire show if you want to watch it for a bit, but when you really want it to perform and kick out some heat knock the air down to the first big mark or just below and it will kick over to an almost full cat burn and really crank some heat, and keep that heat going all night! Its the best of both worlds! Fire when you want to watch it and cat burns for nice even heat and lengthly burns (10+ hours of true heat, with red oak and elm from my experience). ENJOY a great purchase!

Looks great! Enjoy!

Yeah it is pretty sweet!

Don't be suprized if it gets even better once the temps drop and you get more draw from your stack. The secondaries will get really intense. The fun part with this stove is you can have the awesome fire show if you want to watch it for a bit, but when you really want it to perform and kick out some heat knock the air down to the first big mark or just below and it will kick over to an almost full cat burn and really crank some heat, and keep that heat going all night! Its the best of both worlds! Fire when you want to watch it and cat burns for nice even heat and lengthly burns (10+ hours of true heat, with red oak and elm from my experience). ENJOY a great purchase!
Do you have a outside air kit on your ideal steel? Is that a basement install?

View attachment 200703 View attachment 200704
That's just about perfect. Congratulations on the beautiful setup, and that new stove looks really cool (er... hot?). Great that your ladies are excited about it, too.

Yes it is a basement install, currently unfinished. No outside air kit installed. I just crack a window nearby and light with a top down fire for cold restarts to overcome the little bit of negative pressure.
Thanks I really like the Ideal Steel stove. My hang up is that Woodstock is sold out if combustors for this stove. Recently, they were sold out of the replacement combustors for the Progress Hybrid. Not sure why they are having problems sourcing this very important part.

Thanks I really like the Ideal Steel stove. My hang up is that Woodstock is sold out if combustors for this stove. Recently, they were sold out of the replacement combustors for the Progress Hybrid. Not sure why they are having problems sourcing this very important part.
What’s the hang up? There are many reasons they could be sold out. Changing vendors, having more orders than they anticipated, robbing their inventory to build stoves, letting inventory get low before putting in a big order to get a price break and etc.

I work for a big manufacturer and there are a ton of reasons to get caught low on inventory. I doubt it’s a sign they are about to go under, if that’s what you’re worried about.

What’s the hang up? There are many reasons they could be sold out. Changing vendors, having more orders than they anticipated, robbing their inventory to build stoves, letting inventory get low before putting in a big order to get a price break and etc.

I work for a big manufacturer and there are a ton of reasons to get caught low on inventory. I doubt it’s a sign they are about to go under, if that’s what you’re worried about.
Thanks those are great points. I don't think they are going under. They build great products according to everyone on this site who has one.