First burn of the season with... technology.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaredwolff

First burn of the season here in CT. Was able to test out the temperature probe setup and the app I put together. (see below)

First burn of the season with... technology.

Everything is in °C. The top graph is ambient (close to the stove) and the bottom is a thermocouple attached to the side of the stove. Super handy to know when it's time for a reload. I will also add a CO2 sensor considering both the furnace and the stove are in the same room.

Overall usefulness?

Easy to monitor if we're not home or have to step out.
Refills, from what I can see in the data, can be timed at fairly regular intervals. So maybe not so useful here but cool to see the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, yea it can be switched over to °F with a tap. Thanks for the feedback!
Wish we could do the same for the country. Canada was smart to go metric.

What hardware are you using? I've seen a few posts like this and have considered putting together an arduino/raspberry type system to do this.

Id also be interested in knowing more about where you got the thermocouples and what app your using.

Sounds cool. Would be cool to see from phone while away from home. As far as knowing when to reload. That is a given and really not helpful in that sense.