First burn of the year/chimney clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MichaelSand

Nov 28, 2021
Cottage grove
I usually get a sweep every other year. Does this look pretty dirty?

First burn of the year/chimney clean?

I suggest to sweep (or have swept) your flue once a year. If you do this at the end of the season, you can start burning anytime in the fall. And you don't have the dirt in there during the humid summer. Your insurance will also like it if you can show a sweep receipt if something happens.

How does that look dirty bholler? How could I get a picture of my stack just to check on it? clancey
That's the bottom of the flue, where the gasses are hottest and the flue is cleanest. The top will be dirtier.

You've only had a fire or 2, you should still be OK.

Reactions: clancey
How does that look dirty bholler? How could I get a picture of my stack just to check on it? clancey
Not sure if you can, but looking at your chimney from the top down would give you the best idea of how much buildup is in there. The reason is that there is usually more buildup up top. Looking for the bottom up will show you the least amount usually.

Thanks and I cannot get on my roof so I will just keep an eye on the temperature then when I have my stove installer come to clean it once a year I will talk him into a picture taking session--lol so that I can see it and know what I am up against and really trying to make sure my wood is dry...clancey..