First burn...Wholy HEAT!!!!! Need some advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
agartner said:
The best way to control the heat on the stove is to control the load - small hot fires are more efficient than big choked down ones. It's a little science, and a little magic, but you're looking at how best to "cycle" your stove. Colder days get bigger loads or more frequent small loads. With time will come experience and soon you'll be down to a routine that works for you. A couple of fans strategically located will help you move the heat from the stove room to other places in the house - this will also help to "level out" those roasting temps in the stoveroom, but I'll tell you, if ~my~ wife showed up in shorts and a tank with two margaritas ready for the hot tub - well lets just say I wouldn't let that opportunity pass me by.

By the way, your overnight burn really shouldn't be all that different from your day burn. It's just another cycle.

+1 . . . save the cheerleader save the world . . . oops . . . I mean control the load, control the heat.

And +1 to the overnight burn being similar to the day burn . . . just another cycle . . . the only difference in my case is that if someone is around during the day I may not load it with the primo wood for the longer burning.

What made it even better was my three year old girl tell me, "Daddy....don't burn your tools." Mommy will not be happy with you. I laughed my azz off.

firefighterjake said:
agartner said:
The best way to control the heat on the stove is to control the load - small hot fires are more efficient than big choked down ones. It's a little science, and a little magic, but you're looking at how best to "cycle" your stove. Colder days get bigger loads or more frequent small loads. With time will come experience and soon you'll be down to a routine that works for you. A couple of fans strategically located will help you move the heat from the stove room to other places in the house - this will also help to "level out" those roasting temps in the stoveroom, but I'll tell you, if ~my~ wife showed up in shorts and a tank with two margaritas ready for the hot tub - well lets just say I wouldn't let that opportunity pass me by.

By the way, your overnight burn really shouldn't be all that different from your day burn. It's just another cycle.

+1 . . . save the cheerleader save the world . . . oops . . . I mean control the load, control the heat.

And +1 to the overnight burn being similar to the day burn . . . just another cycle . . . the only difference in my case is that if someone is around during the day I may not load it with the primo wood for the longer burning.

Right on.....Since I am home frequently now...I am a landsscaper, I am using the so so wood that cranks heat, but the burn time is around 2 hrs. I have the fans pumping..one box and a Holmes vornado type fan that is smaller but packs a punch. I keep them on low just to get the cold air moving. Works like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.