First cleaning today of the new p61a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even turn the stove down to scrape the burn pot, put on a glove and crack the door open for 10 seconds the flame goes all lazy, open the door and do the 20 second scrape and shut it back up. Every couple of days I do a quick brushing of ash on the shelves etc When I feel like doing the fines box I do it on the weekly or when I brush the liner out.

Bottom line, the stove performs better when it's clean so why leave it dirty.

I don't even turn the stove down to scrape the burn pot, put on a glove and crack the door open for 10 seconds the flame goes all lazy, open the door and do the 20 second scrape and shut it back up. Every couple of days I do a quick brushing of ash on the shelves etc When I feel like doing the fines box I do it on the weekly or when I brush the liner out.

Bottom line, the stove performs better when it's clean so why leave it dirty.
agree......
whenever my stove is off, I open the ignitor compartment and get my fingers in there to clean out the dried black granuals of ash.
lot of little cleaning shortcuts here and there as opposed to waiting to do it all at one time. doesn't take long to do any of it.
I used to wait and do everything every 10 days or so when I 1st got my stove but have since learned to more or less do some kind of maint every day as
I pass the stove..[some of us cannot wait for the big ash line to fall into the pan.. we have to help it along.] Open the hopper and level the pellets so the're not leaning to one side etc.
lot of OCD goin on with pellet owners. wife calls it messin around..lol It's all good...

agree......
whenever my stove is off, I open the ignitor compartment and get my fingers in there to clean out the dried black granuals of ash.

Me too! The cleaner this area is kept the longer the igniter will last from what I've read here. Everytime I let the stove cool down I open this up and brush it out with an old toothbrush I shortened the handle on so it fits in a little better

Toothbrush will work fine for now until I get my ash vac, looks like the attachment kit has a small adapter hose that would work perfect for this

Me too! The cleaner this area is kept the longer the igniter will last from what I've read here. Everytime I let the stove cool down I open this up and brush it out with an old toothbrush I shortened the handle on so it fits in a little better

Toothbrush will work fine for now until I get my ash vac, looks like the attachment kit has a small adapter hose that would work perfect for this
just be carefull of the wires in the compartment.
I clean that area for same reasons...keeps the Igniter from working harder than it has too..

Status
Not open for further replies.