First fire of the year anxiety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Had my first fire of the year last night. Got down to about 36. I don’t know about everyone else, but I always have anxiety during the first fire. Wondering if everything is gonna work ok and be safe, hoping I cleaned everything good enough, and things like that. I guess it’s just hoping everything is gonna go ok. Chimney was obviously cold when I started the stove, and I could feel it blowing into the stove, so when the fire started I got some blowback into the house. That didn’t help the anxiety. It eventually started to draft fine and all was well throughout the burn. First fire is the year is in the books. Supposed to be 80, 4 out is the next 6 days, then back to cold again.

Reactions: Heat Maxx
Yes, I feel exactly the same with the first fire. I have a low-tech trick for creating an updraft: I put an oil lantern in the woodstove for 15 minutes or so with the door closed. This has worked even in extremely cold weather. Works during a power outage when you can't use a hair dryer.

Reactions: Heat Maxx
I use a small electric space heater, blowing into the stove for about 10 minutes, and I have a great draft everytime. Its doable without doing that, but back draft sucks.

I have felt air flowing into the stove a few times. I always use a JJGeorge propane torch to prime/heat the chimney before lighting. Haven't had a fire yet. Haven't even cleaned the chimney yet.

I have absolutely no anxiety whatsoever.. I can't wait to burn.. Its like a combination of labor day and Halloween when the stove lights off for the first time. I feel confident with the cleaning of the stovepipe. Its sad when we stop for the year.. We all tend to sit around the stove when its running

Reactions: Ashful
Im burning right now. Its 45 out, not bad but chilly. Should be the last fire for a few days, they are calling for 70s for a few days.

Back draft sucks. Real cold mornings I feel the cold air coming down the flue. Hair dryer works awesome. Tried the newspaper trick and does not work well for me. Just goes out with smoke in the room.

I used to always look forward to the first burn of the year. But this many cords and years in, it's about as exciting as shaving or brushing my teeth. I do still enjoy it, so maybe the toothbrush analogy is a step too far, but I'm no longer excited about it.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
I used to always look forward to the first burn of the year. But this many cords and years in, it's about as exciting as shaving or brushing my teeth. I do still enjoy it, so maybe the toothbrush analogy is a step too far, but I'm no longer excited about it.
I always felt the same way. I loved the first firing up of the stove especially. I like tending a stove too. Gets old at the end of every season.
Currently miss running my stove. i am only able to run the wood furnace in the basement. Even though I have a small bench to sit on, and sip my morning coffee, It's not the same.

ya first burn excitment fades quick lately
Sure does. like, right before the second relight in shoulder season.

Reactions: Ashful
One factor, I think, is that these modern stoves require no fiddling and have no aroma. I grew up in a house with four open fireplaces. We would toss another split or three on the fire every hour or three. Plenty of firepoker and tongs time, and it smelled and sounded great.

But operating my BK’s is not much different than loading the dishwasher. Fill it with wood, toss a piece of fire starter under the load, and then move a few levers over the next 15-30 minutes. Repeat in 12 or 24 hours. No romance, no skill involved.

One factor, I think, is that these modern stoves require no fiddling and have no aroma. I grew up in a house with four open fireplaces. We would toss another split or three on the fire every hour or three. Plenty of firepoker and tongs time, and it smelled and sounded great.

But operating my BK’s is not much different than loading the dishwasher. Fill it with wood, toss a piece of fire starter under the load, and then move a few levers over the next 15-30 minutes. Repeat in 12 or 24 hours. No romance, no skill involved.
Same here. Grew up with a Franklin stove in our family room and later in the 70’s a coal stove. Franklin stove was nice. Smelled great. Shoveling coal in the other stove not so much fun when I was a kid.

Reactions: BillBurns
Back draft sucks. Real cold mornings I feel the cold air coming down the flue. Hair dryer works awesome. Tried the newspaper trick and does not work well for me. Just goes out with smoke in the room.
Agree, I have never had luck with the newspaper trick. It has always resulted in smoke in the room. A lot of smoke.