First Fire - Tarm Solo 60 with 1,000 Gallons Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenaliChuck

Mar 25, 2008
South Central Colorado
It's been so long in the works I'd begun to forget why I was working on it!

42* water in the storage tanks at 4pm and the Tarm is humming along at 190* with 150* at the top of tank one at 8pm this evening.

I'd say its good to be off oil, except that it hasn't sunk in yet!

I couldn't have done it without my friend Tom in the lead. He brought a huge amount of boiler experience to the project and 70 hours of sweat as well, and I'm very indebted to him.

I'm going to take a wood-fired shower! Details, photos and more soon.

DC

Congrats, it is nice to be off oil. Our oil fired furnace is in the basement, took a while to get used to not hearing that unit running. Nice and quiet in the house while staying toasty. I'm only able to go 2 days on a firing, was hoping to go 3. But we usually have 4(sometimes 5) showers a day in this household, plus loads of laundry, dishwasher, etc. Also some chilly days, the house still pulls a little heat once in a while, not quite summer yet. Once you get the routine down, you'll start a fire and walk away almost as quick as taking out the garbage. I'm able to let my tank get down to about 100 degrees on the bottom 2 layers and about 115 on top before I get complaints about cool showers. Good luck.

Congrats, It sure is a great feeling to take as long a shower as you want with no thought to how much oil you burned. Are going to burn year round?

Yup, year round! Rough BTU calculations suggest we can get by on a fire every 6-7 days in the summer.

'Course firing the hot tub will shorten the time between fires, but it'll be so much easier than the snorkel wood stove!

way to go DC! you will fall head over heels in love with your new Tarm as I did with mine. I still can't believe that I used only 2.75 cord of wood from 10/31/08 to 4/16/09. the last of the burns in the spring were every 5th or 6th day. It doesn't get any easier! Sweetheat :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.