First of the new year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
way to start the new year. Very nice pictures. Everything here in NY is covered in snow. We had snow twice last week but the temps have been at around freezing so it aint meltin' none. makes it challenging to do everything. But its all in the game. This is what we do and we do it well.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice pics.
Looks like the ground is freezing up, that'll help allot.
Looks to be some nice wood, it's not going anywhere, take your time ;)

We are getting rain today :confused:

You got rain where you are at the beginning of January. Strange. It was about 5 degrees yesterday. But the therm was up and down all day and night the last few days. Surprising me how much the temperature changes and at what speed it changes recently.

Nice work Dennis. Way to stay after it. Take a good slow, safe pace my friend. The snow is deeper here and it gets tiring moving around in it. I have to take my time when trudging through it while working. So, that is what I am doing. What is the temp out your way today?

Sav, if you get this January thaw coming in a week it will be spring for you.

We're hoping it is a long thaw too.

Nice work Dennis. Way to stay after it. Take a good slow, safe pace my friend. The snow is deeper here and it gets tiring moving around in it. I have to take my time when trudging through it while working. So, that is what I am doing. What is the temp out your way today?

When I came in from cutting it was 25. Glad there is no wind today and it was nice for cutting wood. Only did one load though; enough for today.

The problem with the thaw is all the mud and muck. Then, there's the re-freeze which turns this place into a skating rink.>>
I'd rather it stayed cold until the end of March, then start the thaw.
You know, like it's supposed to.;)
Dennis, that's about the amount of snow we had last time I went to my SIL's to cut.
We've got about 8" right now. At least you got out there, but take it easy.:mad:

We got about 15" with the bigger storm. Then we got about 3-4 more a few days later. So it is pretty deep when you are trying to cut up the tree and move around. One nice thing is you can cut right through and not worry about hitting the ground.There was a layer of harder snow underneath everything, all but the heaviest piece of the trunk is held right up off the groung by the snow. Dam cold today though.

Be sure and season that oak for at least 2 years, 3 is much, much better!

Well, somebody had to say it! :)

Good job Dennis, how about I drop off some smoked and canned salmon and you let me help you next time? Sounds fair to me!

Worry not wishlist. That wood will sit for several years before we burn it. Cut another load today but if not for my wife helping I may not have got that much done. Dang I hurt today....

Reactions: wishlist
I pretty much assumed Dennis that you wouldn't burn the oak this winter! LOL.....

Don't think being sore is just saved for you, after helping Hdrock and Pete the other day and then cutting for myself on the 1st I was sore as well.

I do need some wood for the evaporator soon. I might scrounge some pallets and also cut some of that barkless dead elm and split it super small. :)

Right. Hard to believe but sap season is not that far away.

Reactions: ScotO
Last year I tapped on Feb 6th which was about 3 weeks early. I hoping for a "normal" winter/spring. :)

We ran out of maple syrup and wife just paid an outragous price for a small bottle of the stuff. But we like to eat the real stuff. Not high fructose corn syrup and sugar combined. :mad: So I need to find some real stuff at a decent price on the internet I guess. Have not found any around here that was a reasonable price. The wife did find a nice big jar of honey made right in the area from a person who works in the same place she does. Very tasty stuff. Had some on toast with peanut butter yesterday morning.

images

You might think about contacting some of the guys on this forum who make syrup. Sappy, Scotty and Wishlist are just a few who come to mind right away but I know there are more.

I will have to get some photos of the 2013 wood work that I have been doing so far. Nice to finally have frozen ground to get back into the areas that remained swampy all last year. Pulled out a big oak limb/split trunk that has been hanging for a couple years with my attention - finally mother nature brought it down. Probably a face cord of oak and for me that is a score as I only have a cord or so of oak. Took down 3 ash, two elm and a maple out back. The ash and elm were dead the maple was right in the middle of the rifile range I am creating. Will be getting my friends dozer out here this winter to build a berm at the end of the 125yrd range so I can shoot from my deck.

Bob, if you look at the forecast, the frost might go out before next weekend. Crazy...

Reactions: Gasifier
You are right about that Dennis. It is cold here right now, 7::F. But this forcast is strange for January.? 52::Fnext Sunday!????

Today Sunny, with a high near 18. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the morning.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a temperature rising to around 27 by 5am. South wind 9 to 14 mph.
  • Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Southwest wind 7 to 14 mph.
  • Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. South wind 5 to 7 mph.
  • Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Breezy, with a southwest wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.
  • Thursday Sunny, with a high near 34.
  • Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.
  • Friday A chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Friday Night A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 37.
  • Saturday Cloudy, with a high near 43.
  • Saturday Night Cloudy, with a low around 38.
  • Sunday A 30 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 52.

We're hoping it is a long thaw too.
Good work, Big D. :cool: Like you say, and I've found out for myself this year, once that Oak is dry it's some of the best-burning stuff around.
It'll be nice to see the snow from our last storm finally melt away. Once the resulting slop dries out, I'll be out there cutting some down Ash and Oak. Then a couple dead standing Ash. Got my work cut out now, trying to stay ahead of the hungry Buck 91 with dry wood. _g

Status
Not open for further replies.