First of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johneh

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2009
Eastern Ontario
Got this morning to 4::C Some one (OK me) left the downstairs windows open
House cold according to the better half. She walks over and hits the start switch
on the stove. Now she who has to be obeyed is happy first fire
September 27 is not the earliest but I could have waited a little longer

9-24 first small take the chill off fire of season for me

Still burning propane. No point in making a fire, it's pushing 80 during the day here. Maybe in a month or so. Rest assured, by next March, we will all be 'burnt out' anyway.

above avg temps this week here, then back down to norm

I am thinking about putting the pipe back on outside and getting the stove ready. We've had mornings in the high 40's F. The house is still a comfortable 73 or so. It's supposed to be cooler the rest of this week, so we'll see.

Hell, I have to cut hay yet.

I fired up the stove one night last week when all it did was rain and night was in the 40s. So the house didn’t warm up in the daytime. Supposed to get in the 30s this week at night but sunny 60s in the daytime to build enough heat in the house.

Now is a good time to get my Jeep fixed up for winter. Doing the whole brake system right now, then gotta weld in some new floor pans. Appliance skins work nice for that, and it’s free.

Have to change the oil in the cars and tractors. Always something.

I'm sure I would have turned on the P43 yesterday morning - but I would have waited until the house got down to 65 or 66*. It was 69* in the house when I woke up, low 50's outside, and it never got above 65* for an outside temp. Additionally, there was heavy, dark overcast so no solar gain.

However, I had a mini-split installed at the beginning of summer, and I let that pick up the small amount of heating that is needed right now.

I've had mine on a few mornings and evenings. The last half of last week, the temp got down to the very low 40's so mornings to take the chill off and some evenings for comfort.
Had this been March, those outside temps would have seemed hot, but we're not acclimated to cold season yet.

I'm sure I would have turned on the P43 yesterday morning - but I would have waited until the house got down to 65 or 66*. It was 69* in the house when I woke up, low 50's outside, and it never got above 65* for an outside temp. Additionally, there was heavy, dark overcast so no solar gain.

However, I had a mini-split installed at the beginning of summer, and I let that pick up the small amount of heating that is needed right now.

And, the next evening (9/29) I started up the P43 and turned off the mini-split. The stove only turns on every 2-3 hours and some days it doesn't run at all during the daytime.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
The stove only turns on every 2-3 hours and some days it doesn't run at all during the daytime
It will, soon enough...lol Have not even started mine, staying pretty warm here. I do need to take the door off and renew the rope gasket before I start it up and that may be a while yet the way the weather is going. Gonna hit 80 this weekend but rain and I need to cut hay which is turning into a forest out back. Besides my hay customer is wanting another 100 rounds.

Reactions: bogieb