First Pellet Stove: Glass Covered Instantly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Noxid86

Dec 20, 2020
Illinois
I purchased a Castle Serenity pellet stove this year. I installed it 2 weeks ago. Every time I run the stove I clean the glass off with a wet paper towel. Within hours it looks like this. Is this normal? How do you keep it clean without having to shut off your heat in the middle of winter?

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 4.43.48 PM.png

That isn't dirty at all. When you ca n no longer see the fire inside, then it's dirty. While I don't have your brand of stove. I never clean mine with a wet towel, reason being is, if the view glass is at all hot, the glass will crack. What I do is open the door (stove is running) and quickly wipe the glass with a natural bristle paint brush, that will remove 99% of the accumulated ash. They all get dirty despite what the manufacturers say. Their 'air wash' thing is just that. hot air.

Only time mine gets the wet paper towel treatment is when it's cold and then, Windex and a paper towel.

Reactions: tbear853 and Ssyko
its pretty common to get dirty glass at low heat burns in all stoves.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
That isn't dirty at all. When you ca n no longer see the fire inside, then it's dirty. While I don't have your brand of stove. I never clean mine with a wet towel, reason being is, if the view glass is at all hot, the glass will crack. What I do is open the door (stove is running) and quickly wipe the glass with a natural bristle paint brush, that will remove 99% of the accumulated ash. They all get dirty despite what the manufacturers say. Their 'air wash' thing is just that. hot air.

Only time mine gets the wet paper towel treatment is when it's cold and then, Windex and a paper towel.
Exactly ... in all respects.

Ours is near needing a clean, perhaps tomorrow I'll let it cool down & get after it.

Lolololol thank you all for your "Welcome to The Club". I will keep that paintbrush trick in mind, im burning forests with the paper towel use right now.

Oh yeah .... WELCOME!

One thing about using a natural bristle paint brush is you don't need to wait for the glass to cool at all. Hot is no issue. Wet paper towel on hot glass, BIG issue. Whatever you do, I cannot emphasize enough NOT TO USE A PAINT BRUSH WITH POLY BRISTLES. They will melt to the glass and then you are screwed, big time.

Works on a wood stove too btw.