First post and help with woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
Hello,
I have been reading and lurking for a while.

If you could help me answer a questions I would appreciate it.
I have a fireview wood stove that I installed last year.

I went to clean the catalytic combustor last night and when I lifted the top I saw a lot of residue and what looked like burnt stuff all around the top of the stove under the lid. I was able to clean it up but I am concerned.
Some of it looked like burn flakes and other looked shiny like coal.

Should all of that residue be there

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum wdenton.

Finding some residue there is okay. Every summer I remove the lid (just lifts off), take it outdoors and wire brush it. All is well.

While you have the lid up or off, check the gasket for any signs of leakage.

Thanks

There was a lot of residue on the lid and around the combustor.
Is that still ok

I shop vac it out and the gasket looks good but there are a few spots on the gasket where it is black

Have you taken the cat out to clean it at all?

Shop vac works good but usually you still need to use a wire brush around that top lid and anything else inside while you have that lid off. Black gasket usually means there is leakage, which there should not be. I'd suggest you contact Woodstock and tell them as it should not have gone bad in a year. Best is to take a picture of it and send it to them.

I'll send you a PM.

All that flake on the lid is pretty normal I think. Mostly it reflects on the last burn you did - I look under the lid more than I should probably, just a bit anal I suppose... anyway, I've noticed that if I have a hotter, shorter burn then there will be far less of this and it will mostly be white ash with the darker black flakes limited to the very edge of the lid. However, if the last burn was a long slow (relatively cooler) burn then I will find a lot more of the black flakes. I generally don't bother cleaning them out though - a good hot burn will take them right out...

Status
Not open for further replies.