Help IDing stove, and any tips/tricks welcome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cluelessone

Oct 19, 2020
Chicagoland
Hello! My husband and I are days away from closing on a house, and in it is this blue cutie. I wasn't sure where to post this, perhaps this is a classic?

At any rate, I would like help IDing the make/model of this stove, in order to try and find some more information on it, or perhaps a relic manual. It looks to be a top load? I know nothing about it, or stoves in general. I'm excited to learn!

Anyone here know anything about this stove offhand? I'll be able to get better pictures later this week, but for now here's the picture off the listing. Any red flags you can spot on the piping (or anything else)?

Thanks so much in advance for your help. I really appreciate being able to tap your knowledge and expertise!

Capture.JPG

I have seen this before, but it was a long time ago and no longer registers. Look on the back of the stove for the UL label.

Managed to get into the house and took these pictures. A quick google does not yield promising results for the performance of this stove - dang. We will use it for now, but if it's as bad as it seems we will be looking to replace it.

If anyone has any comments, I'm all ears. Thanks!

20230828_160337 (1).jpg 20230828_160332 (1).jpg

Cool. That's an Upland AM-40. Looks like a new model that Nu-Tec imported from Yugoslavia. The founder of Hearth.com made Uplands for about 5 yrs, but sold it when the new EPA regs went into effect and he went onto different internet ventures.

It looks barely used. If it is in good shape, it's worth trying out. It may be fine. Can you post some shots of the interior? Is it top loading?

I am wondering if this stove was made by Sopka, a current Serbian wood stove manufacturer. They are now owned by SCC Holdings so this may be hard to find out.

Last edited:
Ah hah, I knew I had seen this before. I'm not sure if NU-TEC Stoves is still on board here.

It looks like this is a catalytic stove. There are 2 cats. They should be inspected and gently cleaned before using. At this age they may need replacement. I think Sandhill might still sell them. They are part #3478 if they do. Their size is listed at 1.875" x 7" x 3" . If they don't have them, it might be worth trying the #3426 which is 6" instead of 7" and fill the gap with some interam gasket material.

It is a top loader. The inside looked super clean when I opened it, so I doubt it was heavily used.

How do I remove and clean the cat?

Here's the only other picture I have for now, just a general top photo.

20230828_160243.jpg

Sorry, I just saw the cat listed on Sandhill's website. Without a manual or parts diagram this will probably be a process of discovery. What does the shiny lever on top do? Open the top load or bypass control?

More pictures! Would a wire brush be OK to get the rust off? Or will a good fire take care of it on its own? Where is the cat? Do I have to open the front doors to find it? Does anyone know what the little handle/lever jobbies on each side on the back of the stove do? I assume something with air but am not at all sure.

The shiney handle turns out to be simply the bypass valve, nothing to do with lids.

20230830_141836.jpg 20230830_141841.jpg 20230830_141848.jpg 20230830_141902.jpg 20230830_141917.jpg 20230830_141938.jpg 20230830_141947.jpg 20230830_141957.jpg 20230830_142015.jpg

It looks like the complex linkage on the right rear side is for air control. Take a mirror or your cell phone to look at the bottom connection. I suspect the cat(s) are behind the baffle plates. Is there a hatch cover on the back side of the stove?