First post, ...size comparison of VC Encore(1450) vs. Resolute Acclaim(2490)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinK

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
First time post on the board.
I have a general question on the relative size of two Vermont Castings (VC) stoves, ...The Encore (model 1450) and the Resolute Acclaim (model 2490), both non-cat stoves.
Basically, I'd like to get a mid-size (secondary wood) stove, ...that won't look too large for the (12x12) room it will be in. I've physically seen the Defiant, Encore and Intrepid II, ...but not the Acclaim. Although I like the size of the Defiant I think it will be a bit on the large size, ...and the Intrepid just seems too small. The Encore looked OK, ...but a tad larger I think would be better, ....hence I'm focusing on the Resolute Acclaim.
From the VC brochures I see dimensions as below:
Encore: 27Wx25.75Hx22.75D, ...yet weighs 395 lbs.
Acclaim: 25.5Wx27.5Hx25D, ..yet weighs 425 lbs.
... Just going on the weight alone, ...one would think the Acclaim is a 'larger' stove ...yet the brochure seems to list the 'size' ordre as Defiant - Encore - ResoluteAcclaim - Aspen.

So, ... I guess my question is this, ...if the Resolute Acclaim and Encore were sitting side by side which would look larger?

Thanks,
Kevin

Well...... Can't answer your question except to say some VC owners are happy but a lot more have dumped their VC's and gone on to other brands.

Have you compared the smaller Jotul stoves? Jotul has a great reputation.

Shari

Just answering the size side and ignoring the brand issue...

I found it helpful to build a mock-up of the stoves I was comparing out of boxes and set them where the stove was going to be. You can get as fancy as you want (duct tape, tape measure and a box cutter go a long way). But it can help a lot with visualizing how it will 'fit' in the space. Be sure you stick it where it really will go - i.e. measure out the required clearances too - each stove has different requirements.

Same trick works for building out a hearth pad - although I just spread some paper on the floor and drew on it there - really helped as we left it out for a week or so and kept re-sizing it until we were happy with the layout.

Edit: - of course to see them side by side, just get over to a stove shop that has both and make your own comparison...

Thanks for the replies...
I have been looking at a number of different brands, ...Jotul being one of them. ...Hearthstone (soapstone) too, ...just a bit more costly that I'm looking right now.
As for the box idea, ...I guess I don't feel so silly now, ...I was thinking to do that. I think I will give it a try :)

I've been to 3 different woodstove stores that carry VC, ...and not yet physically seen the Acclaim, ...but I'm going to look at one tomorrow (used)

Thanks again,

Kevin

Welcome to the board Kevin.

Let me get this straight....you are thinking of putting a stove in a 12x12 room. Does this room open up via large door ways to other rooms, or just standard size door openings? It is going to be one hot room with either of the three stoves :lol:

Boxes are a lot less expensive than stoves and MUCH easier to move around.

Since you are looking at other stoves/brands do take a look at the review section here and read up on various threads on stoves you are considering and ask lots of questions. Consider how you expect to burn etc as the time spent before you buy will pay out back many times over if you don't get into the "confirm your decision" mode too quickly.

Yes, read the review section for sure! Research the stove as much as possible before you make your decision. Also, start building your wood supply today!!!

...been reading up a lot lately :)
The other thing is, ...I'm not planning on purchasing a "new" stove, ...looking for a good used.
As for wood? ...I've got 4-5 cords already cut.

You have to be very careful when buying used VC stoves. You can end up getting something that needs a complete rebuilding & that could be very expensive. In the used dept. I would concentrate on other brands than VC unless you are certain that the stove is in mint cond.

As for size of the stove... what is the total area you are planning to heat (not just the 12x12 room I hope)

...I know what you're saying about used stoves, ...I will be looking very carefully at it.

As for the space... the room itself (even though I said 12x12) is about 12x14 (part of the rec-room area in a raised ranch), ...that opens to the stairway going up to the rest of the house. Additionally, I am considering/(plan on) placing (cast iron) grates in the ceiling for more of the heat to escape. Total square footage of the house is around 2400 sf, ...which I don't expect to heat the whole thing, ...yet at the same time, I hope to cover a good part of it.

KevinK said:
Total square footage of the house is around 2400 sf, ...which I don't expect to heat the whole thing, ...yet at the same time, I hope to cover a good part of it.

Hmm... how many folks have started out that way. Then we realize how much we like the fire better than paying the gas/oil/electric bill and then it is all about "how do I get the heat moved around a little better" and "hmm, I think I need a slightly bigger stove...".

I started out thinking that if I just offset 50-75% of my heating bill I'd be really happy. Now I'm looking at perhaps 95-98% (can't hit 100% as we go out of town on occasion). Go bigger and you are very unlikely to regret it unless there just is no way to get air to flow in and out of that room.

I agree with Slow1. Next thing you will be trying to get overnight burns....& you will have a very hard time with a firebox that is less that 2 cubic feet. Again, on the VC note.....I am not trying to discourage you from it but you should also search "everburn" or dutchwest......& read the posts.

...thanks for the replies, ...and the info, ...that's why I'm here :)
I'll do some searching,

...I was just looking at the Jotul F 500 (Oslo), ...very nice stove.

KevinK said:
...I was just looking at the Jotul F 500 (Oslo), ...very nice stove.

Many here will agree that now you're on the right track ;-)

...just wanted to follow up (and again say THANKS for the replies here).
Just by chance, I stumbled upon an ad (Craigslist ; ) for a used Jutol F 500 , ...and it is now sitting in my garage awaiting (me) to get the hearth built :)
The stove is in excellent condition, well maintained from the original owner with all the paperwork.

Thanks again for the input :)

Good stuff! Get working on that hearth!

KevinK said:
Just by chance, I stumbled upon an ad (Craigslist ; ) for a used Jutol F 500 , ...and it is now sitting in my garage awaiting (me) to get the hearth built :)
The stove is in excellent condition, well maintained from the original owner with all the paperwork.

Yea and whew! The F500 is a solid, good looking workhorse. Dodged the bullet on that one. A used VC stove can be a real challenge unless one is prepared to learn how to rebuild them. And even then the results can vary.

KevinK said:

CraigsList is a wonderful thing. All three of my stoves were CraigsList finds.

Lots of happy Jotul owners on this forum. If you have any questions about the stove, this is the place to get them answered. Good luck on the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.