First real Test For My New Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cat is right in the center, top of the stove. Never had it stall, and when it finally does get 'inactive' on the probe, there isn't anything left in the stove to make smoke. As long as there is enough smoke to keep the cat hot enough, it keeps on going. Like has been said, decent draft and really dry fuel are extra important on the slow burns.

All air enters through the thermostat housing in the center rear. then runs in a flatish channel across the rear of the stove to preheat. Then through two large tubes, maybe 2", one on either side of the cat housing. Then dumped onto the front glass up top. I inspected a BK with the cat removed and could see no secondary air supply. It looked like all air went to the glass.

The cat element is just the basic ceramic with biggish 1/4" holes.

I was kind a stumped when I was looking at the air wash plate. I was thinking it would have some holes on the back side like the Woodstocks to give that cat some air but it doesn't. Maybe the stove is throttled down enough that the cat feeds directly off the air going down to the glass? Probably why the glass gets so dirty during low burns, the cat is hogging all the air to keep going.

Looks like I'll be firing up either tonight or tomorrow. Highs in the 50's and a low of 28 Sunday morning. Time for another long burn so I don't have to mess around and spend more time at the local Oktoberfest!

Status
Not open for further replies.