First scrounge and I'm all over that ash!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
This is my first scrounge and I hope it's a good one! Tree guy said it's ash. What kind of ash I don't know. Any thoughts? I was just calling tree service providers in my area and asking if they had any wood I could pick up. One said I'm at the landfill brush pile now with a big ash on the truck, better come look! So this is what I got! Let me know what you think, Pat

Attachments

• ash 003.jpg
    ash 003.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • ash 004.jpg
    ash 004.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,030
  • ash 005.jpg
    ash 005.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,053
Pat it sounds good and looks even better, nice score.

zap

Awesome first scrounge....get that stuff split up and drying...Ash is one of the fastest drying woods.

Green Ash has the native range that's closest to your location. It's a middle-tier wood, around 20 M BTU. I'm keeping a lot of this grade of wood on hand. I'm not familiar with Green, but it looks like it may be Ash bark and leaves.

Hears some close ups.

Attachments

• new ash 001.jpg
    new ash 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 936
  • new ash 002.jpg
    new ash 002.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 955
  • new ash 003.jpg
    new ash 003.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 974
curber said:
Hears some close ups.
Looks like the guy was right. Green Ash. Nice score! Looks like about 1/2+ cord?

Welcome to the Forum! Nice 1st score. I would keep that guys number close to you and maybe even consider dropping off a case of beer to him. You never know, the next time he may drop off oak or cherry right in your driveway. Once they know you will take it, you have a goldmine!!

You will be chasing it for a long time! Welcome to the biggest group of goofballs on the net! Its normal here. ;-)

Oh I made it perfectly clear that there would be cold refreshments!! You cant offer just anyone a beer around hear. Lots of Mormons. Anyhow I have never seen any oak in my neck of the woods. I always asked people if they know of it around hear. I'm not even sure I'd know an oak if I was staring at one!! Don't really know why oak wouldn't grow hear? Any Imput on that? Pat

My first scrounge was ash, or should I say I got some ash on my first scrounge, good scrounge, welcome to the club.

curber said:
Oh I made it perfectly clear that there would be cold refreshments!! You cant offer just anyone a beer around hear. Lots of Mormons. Anyhow I have never seen any oak in my neck of the woods. I always asked people if they know of it around hear. I'm not even sure I'd know an oak if I was staring at one!! Don't really know why oak wouldn't grow hear? Any Imput on that? Pat

You will know when your chains are given-up and your saw feels like its 10x heavier than it was just a couple hours ago. Keep that air filter clean and pray for more cc's! ;-) (or dreaming of, how to get more out of your saw)

Very nice score, enjoy the heat it provides!

curber said:

Oak would grow if somebody planted it, just like Ash grows in Idaho and throughout the west when planted and watered. Green Ash is a fairly common landscape tree out west because it is easy to transplant (tolerates the disturbance to its roots, etc.), and because it grows fairly fast especially the first few years. Oak would also be a good landscpae tree, but oak has the reputation of being a slow grower. Oak is slow mainly in the first few years after transplanting, then it tends to catch up or even pass a lot of other landscape trees. The problem is nobody thinks about the tree in 30 years, they are mainly interested in the first three or four, and oak isn't very fast in the first three or four years.

I think I'll plant an oak tree and see if I can make one grow!! Now Where do I find and acorn or a seedling? Pat

curber said:
I think I'll plant an oak tree and see if I can make one grow!! Now Where do I find and acorn or a seedling? Pat

Ebay! lol Most of my trees have been started from seed. Oak Takes forever to grow!

curber said:

Oak's produce acorns on some sort of cycle. Some years I am taking wheel barrow full loads of them out of the yard and this year there is hardly any. I find oak's to be messy trees - in the spring they have this stringy stuff they drop, sticks/twigs drop in every wind, acorns are a PITA and they hold leaves longer than any other tree around here so we dont finish raking until spring time. Nice tree to have in the woods or your firewood stack but not your yard.

curber said:

Oaks commonly live for 100+ years. I hope your not planting it for firewood. :lol:

Last year and this year I started planting acorns on the land I own currently and on the family land where oak is rarely seen . . . I figure I may never get the benefit of cutting those oaks, but one day someone may appreciate the fact. Personally, I love the shape of oaks just as landscape trees even.

Pat, that is some nice ash you have. For the oaks, we've had the best luck letting the squirrels plant our oaks. However, we've also had a bit of luck transplanting the new sprouts from what the squirrels bury. It is best done when the new sprouts are about 2" out of the acorn and planted rather shallow. Some make it and some don't so if we want some, we plant lots. Around the house and barn this past spring I probably mowed off a couple thousand new oaks!

I'll plant some oak but I'm not expecting the wood from it! I did score more ash and some elm today tho!! I'll get pics tomorrow! Pat

Not too long ago my son was looking at a picture we took when he was still in high school. It wasn't much more than a twig then but now it is big and lots of acorns too. It gives us lots of needed shade in the summer.

Well hears that ash all split and stacked! I think its almost a cord. Its sitting on 2 pallets and is 4 feet tall. Should be almost 4x4x8. The one thing about scrounging for wood that I don't like is that you cant control how its cut up. This stack has a lot of pieces that are really odd ones. Oh well it was really easy to get. Oh also if I'm not going to burn this ash tell 2012/13 will it be dry enough? Its not stacked in the single rick fashion!! Its stacked kind of loose and I'll get some tin on the top?? Pat

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 262
  • wood 005.jpg
    wood 005.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 242
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 252
Pat, that ash will be great for 2012-2013. Ash is not a high moisture to begin with and it drys relatively quick.

Ok I had to change the title of this post.. I'm now ROLLING IN ASH!! I just scored this load and just after that found a guy that has 14 huge ash that are in his pasture that he wants taken down! I'll get some more pics of the standing tomorrow. Pat

Attachments

• wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 228
  • wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.