First season cleanup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michpelletburner

Oct 29, 2014
Davisburg,MI
Well today i did my end of season clean up, i know maybe a little late but a newborn takes alot of time haha. But anyways i cleaned every inch of the stove i could then brushed out the vent with the lint eater, then hit it with LBT then capped oak and vent. I pulled the clean out cap off the tee and stuck my inspection camera up there, nice and clean. ran the vacuum through the inside again and gave it a good coat of Amsoil Metal Protector, then a damp rid in the hopper and ash pan. i also pulled the igniter and cleaned it, oiled the motors bearings and of coarse cleaned both blowers, which i will say after 5 tons of green ways the combustion blower was real clean just had some dust in it. I think i covered all my bases let me know if i missed something. I am thinking of coming up with some sort of filter to put on the room blower this summer maybe help cut down on the dust it blows around. I was thinking about making a flange that will bolt to the blower and run a 4" pipe out the back of the stove and put a k&N type washable filter on it, what do you guys think? Btw thanks for all the help, it has definitely made my first season a enjoyable one

Just a thought but as a rule of thumb 500 cubic of minute requires a 7 inch round duct or a rectangle 6x7 inches.
I'm not sure but I suspect that a pellet stove would flow 400 cubic feet a minute. A residential furnace needs 600 cfm to move 50,000 btu's

Your manual would likely have that information.
If the inlet is restricted then there is a chance of overheating the stove and the heat goes out the chimney.

i just checked the specs and the room blower is 265 cfm i may be able to run a 45* which will flow more, I am talking a ss or aluminum mandrel bend btw

i just checked the specs and the room blower is 265 cfm i may be able to run a 45* which will flow more, I am talking a ss or aluminum mandrel bend btw

I believe that someone had a thread on here a few years ago about adding a filter to their stove did a quick search and it didn't come up for me but it might be worthwhile to look for it.

A 5x6 retangular or a 6 in round would be used for 300 cfm so a 5 inch would likely work. As a side note the flexible corrugated type of pipe doesn't flow air as well because of the rough interior. So a 6 in metal flexible vent would be close in size.

I have thought about adding a filter system to my stove in the living room also, I have one on the Pellet Furnace and it really cuts down on the dust a lot. I over sized that filter so it doesn't need replacement very often. I used a 20x25 x 5 inch thick filter only needs to be changed once a year it's in the basement so we had a lot of room for it !!

Well today i did my end of season clean up, i know maybe a little late but a newborn takes alot of time haha. But anyways i cleaned every inch of the stove i could then brushed out the vent with the lint eater, then hit it with LBT then capped oak and vent. I pulled the clean out cap off the tee and stuck my inspection camera up there, nice and clean. ran the vacuum through the inside again and gave it a good coat of Amsoil Metal Protector, then a damp rid in the hopper and ash pan. i also pulled the igniter and cleaned it, oiled the motors bearings and of coarse cleaned both blowers, which i will say after 5 tons of green ways the combustion blower was real clean just had some dust in it. I think i covered all my bases let me know if i missed something. I am thinking of coming up with some sort of filter to put on the room blower this summer maybe help cut down on the dust it blows around. I was thinking about making a flange that will bolt to the blower and run a 4" pipe out the back of the stove and put a k&N type washable filter on it, what do you guys think? Btw thanks for all the help, it has definitely made my first season a enjoyable one
Youd be better served running a hepa air purifier/ ionizer while running the stove than trying to filer the air the air with the stoves. It was t designed with a filter and in addition to air circulation, the air moving through the mechanical cabinet via the convection blower also provides cooler air for he motors and electronics. If you have air conditioning or central heat that is forced hot air, tryin turning on the circulation from time to time to filter the air that way. Try dumping your pellet bags into a separate container in the garage or basement prior to dumping in the stove, that will cut down on fines dust.

hmm i did not think about the cooling effect that the room blower adds to the insides of the stove. The fines are my biggest issue, while greenways don't have a lot its still enough to make a mess i think i will have to come up with a fines screen

Status
Not open for further replies.