1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First splitter experience

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by BucksCounty, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BucksCounty

BucksCounty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    My father rented a splitter for the weekend. It was the first time I used a splitter and these things are awesome!!! My brother had several very large trees cut in December. I split 2 cords by hand over the past couple months. My dad said I was being young and dumb and decided to get a splitter for the weekend. So, my brother, father, and I split the remaining wood today. We figured we split about 4-5 cords today. Very tired and sore and the beer is helping right now. I was amazed at the power of the splitter to go through larger rounds. Very cool. A good day!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tom Posch

Tom Posch New Member

Loc:
    Farmingdale, NJ
    I split wood for many years with a maul. Due to a herniated disc in my lower back I can't swing a maul for more than a half hour (sometimes not even a half hour). I used a splitter for the first time in my life in February. It was a rather crude, old, home brewed unit, that was still an absolute pleasure to operate! Since then I purchased the best splitter available. I look forward to using that machine.

Goog
  3. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Every man should have a power splitter. And now that you have had a taste you will soon be buying one. Trust me I know!
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have had my splitter since 1988. Works out to $21 a year + gas. I can't think of any better investment I have ever made. I swing a maul every once in a while to remind me why I bought it.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You have me beat BB. Ours so far works out around $40 per year but it will continue to go down too.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    They say figures never lie but liars always figure. Amortized over the 7 years I've owned it, mine is $143 per year.
  7. ccwhite

ccwhite Member

Loc:
    Steubenville, OH
    This is my second year with the one I built so I figure I'm somewhere around $300 per year and going down.
  8. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    We've been using a home made splitter that my paternal grandfather put together about 20 years ago (or more). It's probably the equivalent of about a 22-ton splitter. We recently added a 4-way wedge to it. It looks rough, but it still splits like a dream! See below:
    [​IMG]

Dad recently purchased a new NorthStar 37-ton splitter. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I imagine it will chew through anything the ole 22-ton splitter has been handling over the years.

[​IMG]
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'll bet that thing works good for cracking walnut shells too! lol
  10. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Love the home made rig. It works, and its paid for - can't complain there!
  11. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I cannot begin to imagine how much wood that thing has split over its lifetime. The mind reels.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.